1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

firewall blocking tons of incoming

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bryan986, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bryan986

bryan986 Thread Starter

I am on a university LAN network for internet, using zone alarm 5

I have it on high security and it is blocking literally 5 things per second

Most of it is on ports 67, 137 and 138 which are dhcp and netbios, from different IP addresses every time, all along the UDP protocol

This isnt necessarily bad by itself, but when I play certain games like counterstrike/battlefield1942, I get ping spikes from like 20 up to 600 every few seconds, regardless of if my firewall is turned on or off, and I am not sure if this is related

I was wondering if the constant barrage of netbios packets could have any effect on my gameplay, and would a hardware firewall help out at all, or is there another way to help?

2. bobol

bobol

mebbe not an answer to your problem, but,....
    keep a firewall on when playing games...trojan/virus attacks can occur while playing...depends on the server too_One server i was at i was alerted -by norton's-to barrage of attacks coming at me -4 in an hour once; . If anything keep just set a rule allowing that site to be allowable by the firewall[if zone alarm has such a feature]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice