Firewall/ but no fire wall (im confused)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AndieSue

I recently put a new program on my computer, it says that i am firewalled, I had a firewall at one time but uninstalled it. Is there any way to find out where the firewall is coming from ? or what have you . I use 98SE . Thanks for your help

AndieSue :confused:

What firewall did you once have installed? You may not have removed all of it when you try to uninstall. Also, you can do a port scan at GRC's ShieldsUp to see if you have your ports protected by a firewall.

AndieSue

Ok it looks as if i have a fire wall , i cant remember the name of it how do i get it off ? Honestly im not sure if i understand exactly what they are saying at the stealths up site.

:confused: GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2004-10-07 at 23:10:23

Results from scan of ports: 0, 21-23, 25, 79, 80, 110, 113,
119, 135, 139, 143, 389, 443, 445,
1002, 1024-1030, 1720, 5000

0 Ports Open
1 Ports Closed
25 Ports Stealth
---------------------
26 Ports Tested

NO PORTS were found to be OPEN.

The port found to be CLOSED was: 113

Other than what is listed above, all ports are STEALTH.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

Yorien says:

Hmmm... yes, it seems you're firewalled. Let's see:

1-. If you don't know the firewall's name we have a problem.

First check for any possible firewall icon active (near the windows clock). Check all icons one by one to get sure none is a firewall.

2-. Run MSCONFIG then to the STARTUP tab. That tab shows you al programs that are started when windows loads. Check for any strange/unknown application (may help yourself looking at the COMMAND detail, so you may see where the app loads from) that may resemble a firewall. You may even uncheck all programs, reboot and test, then mark only the ones you want to be loaded.

Yorien Dragonard

AndieSue

i unchecked every thing in msconfig, as you suggested and still have a firewall, grrrr
GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2004-10-08 at 11:15:53

Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

0 Ports Open
1 Ports Closed
1055 Ports Stealth
---------------------
1056 Ports Tested

NO PORTS were found to be OPEN.

The port found to be CLOSED was: 113

Other than what is listed above, all ports are STEALTH.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

Any other ideas?

It is hard to tell you how to remove something unless you can say what it is. However, with the report you posted from ShieldsUp, I'm thinking that you may not have a software firewall but rather are using a router or modem that does NAT. Are you using a router? What kind of internet connection do you have? What is the make and model of your modem?

AndieSue

I have a cable connection, and i connect two computers with a little network anywhere 4 pt router and the modem is a motorola , i know the router does not have a firewall thats the reason i bought i and it was quite a bit cheaper, any way i guess mabye my server is firewalled i dont really know i have cox cable for internet service.
you think i should call them? I ran a belarc advisor on my computer would u like to see it?
you can view it here C:\Program Files\Belarc\Advisor\System\tmp\(O8g2i1).html
Thanks andie

What operating are you using? Windows XP has a firewall built in and this may be your problem, especially if you have SP2 installed.

AndieSue

amnent said:
What operating are you using? Windows XP has a firewall built in and this may be your problem, especially if you have SP2 installed.
nope running 98.
Thanks Andie :(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts