1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firewall Cable/Dsl Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sleekluxury, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sleekluxury

sleekluxury Thread Starter

I Need a good Linksys or comparible firewall cable/DSL router for my pc's. anyone know any good and affordable ones.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

4. SW13123

SW13123

5. JohnWill

$100!!! I gave him a link for a $5 router that will work just as well, since he didn't specify wireless. :D

6. SW13123

SW13123

well considering that everthing is going wireless why not? and it comes with a firewall.

7. JohnWill

Uhh... $100 vs. $5 is the reason! :D FWIW, all SOHO routers have similar firewall capabilities, including the $5 on I mentioned.

8. SW13123

SW13123

yeah i guess the GigaFast would be a better choice. i just would not want to buy it and have to upgrade later.... i thought the wireless option was good for laptops and stuff like like that. But for 5 bucks i guess you can't beat that.

9. sleekluxury

sleekluxury Thread Starter

Cool ill have to check them all out and go to Fry's and buy one. Probably going to be a Linksys.

10. JohnWill

Well, if you spend $5-10 for a router, it's not that big a deal to upgrade later. :)

11. logistix_111

logistix_111

I would go with the Linksys because you have better support when it comes to upgrading the firmware. I would also suggest wireless so you have that option in the future. I think the newer ones even support VPN. You can build one yourself with Linux and a cheap 200Mhz computer too. If you REALLY want to save some money.

12. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Just for information only, I believe Cisco bought LinkSys ;)

13. smooth26

smooth26

yup.cisco & linksys are now partners.there are a lot of linksys routers around.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171283

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice