1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

firewall caught port scans

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by biz_gravy, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. biz_gravy

biz_gravy Thread Starter

what are these port scans that my firewall catches. What am i supposed to learn from these or what is it supposed to tell me.

2. Miz

Miz

Mainly, it's telling you the firewall is doing its job.

There are probably thousands, or more, people out there running port scans constantly...mostly wannabe hackers/crackers looking for vulnerable systems to access for whatever reason.

As long as your firewall is telling you it blocked them, you're in good shape.

3. hewee

hewee

If you get a router it also acts as a hardware firewall.
    I just got me one and your get alot less hit in your software firewall.
    Went from 100's and 100's a day to maybe 12 or less.

4. BillC

BillC

Right on hewee...trouble is it took my a year from the time I first got a firewall to figure that out. Routers with firewalls. (y)

5. hewee

hewee

Yep Bill :)

I was getting pinged to dead. Like 4 a min or more and it was just crazy. Now I have only one hit so far today and that was a echo ping from here.

I know all the hits are there still like before the router but stop at the router so you don't see them or know how many there are. I like it when ZA is is not blinking away. I know ZA was stopping them but still it is better now and that makes me relax. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171667

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice