1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

firewall conflict with NT lose keyboard

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by blazintommyd, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blazintommyd

blazintommyd Thread Starter

I installed a July 26, 2001 WinNT 4.0 Workstation update because MS said I needed it. I fell asleep. Someone else restarted the computer and can't log on because 'control-alt-delete' does not respond - i.e., the keyboard (functioning in boot) and the mouse don't function at log on.

Before the event log was full I received 'a driver or application failed to install' error message 'see event log' which obscured the following error message:

"Tiny Personal Firewall has detected that application C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\RPCSS.EXE was replaced by another application 'Distribute.com Services'.Do you want to accept replacement of this application [yes/no boxes provided]"

(First) I ran Norton Anti-Virus emergency repair & virus scan on the A drive showing that the Master boot and boot were scanned and are clean, the same with memory and program files - took 1 hour 42 mins. to run

(Second) I'm unable to enter DOS and receive the following error:

"I/O Error accessing boot sector file multi(o)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\\Bootss
    WinNT Emergency repair disk prompts for diskette A - which I did not try

PROBLEMS - some files for a pending State appeal and Federal action are backed up some aren't. Even if I could restore the files on a new installation I couldn't in time to answer opponent's papers probably on Monday

Also I have no CD Rom a gear fell out of it a while back and I never replaced it

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated from someone familiar with NT -e.g., whether I can repair the system from the NT diskettes without losing data. And for example, if RPCss.exe would be copied from the ERD in conjunction with the NT Set up Diskette and if so would this satiate the firewall conflict OR if there is someway to uninstall the firewall(?) or whatever?
    In any event I can't afford to lose the data presently on my C drive

Does anyone know what "distribute.com" is?from someone familiar with NT

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice