Firewall For Networks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

2steps

I am planning to set up a network at home and am looking for a firewall I can use. Before I used zonealarm free edition but have been told this will not work over the network. We will be sharing file and an internet connection. Can anyone recommend a good piece of software?

The best and easiest way is to purchase a router. Most routers come with a firewall, and nowadays a decent router can be had for $20-$30.

If your planning on using ICS, I would strongly recommend using a router to firewall your network from the internet. Use logins and passwords on shared directories, and never share the OS directories or root drives.

The router will also save you time and headache configuring your network, as most routers also incorporate a DHCP server which can automatically assign IP addresses to your machines.

2steps

we have a router and it does have a firewall. So, it's ok to jsut use that?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts