1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

firewall for virus?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by JE_Seeks, Dec 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JE_Seeks

JE_Seeks Thread Starter

Hi,
    I finally got to pick up my new computer this morning and I just now finished plugging it all together step by step.
    They make it pretty easy for those of us just learning about all this PC stuff.

here is my question:

I was told to be sure to get some sort of a freewall or firewall (I was told that I needed it for protection from viruses) and that I can dowload for free, and I don't really know how to download anything, or where to download this from.

Go easy on me as I'm new to this stuff but I'm a quick learner.

Thank you for your help in advance

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

3. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

If I was going to buy a virus scanner t would be PC cillin or Nortons

4. Dark Star

Dark Star

JE_Seeks.

Welcome to TSG......

just my two cents worth.......

It is called a firewall not a freewall and Zone Alarm as Savvy suggested is a very good one you click on the link she gave you.

As for a Virus scanner, I'm not too up on those, but you should use one again I think Savvy is giving you a good one to try out.

never mind I don't use one, and I should but I don't want to confuse you here.

You are in good hands with Savvy........ and I'm sure you will do well IF you follow her instructions, you will have a great start.

Good Luck,

DS

5. JE_Seeks

JE_Seeks Thread Starter

SavvyLady

thank you very much for your help. This might sound dumb but when I click on the link to download at that website where will the download go. I have never done this before.Does it just put itself in my PC or do I have to do something with it? Sorry about this.

Dark Star

thank you for the welcome and I will be following SavvyLadys advice very closely.
    I am very new to this.

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

gee.......... Im not sure cause its been so long... wait ... I'll look

7. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

OK zone alarm is a self executing download....which means you will not have to look for it...

It'll install after it downloads...

Im going to bed though JE... so if you need help ... post the question in Security . ( a new one )

one more thing... take the free one before you buy one... and not the trial version either.
    you're new & may not be able to set it up correctly. If you delete it & have paid for it that would be a shame.

8. JE_Seeks

JE_Seeks Thread Starter

SavvyLady

thank you and it will just be there after it installs itself right. I just turn it on in the programs?

Well goodnight and I hope you will be able to help me again. I will let you know if it works out right. You have been very helpful to me.

9. demonloop

demonloop

if you're a bit more confident now you might want to check out the products at www.norton.com i highly recommend and they have a very simple user interface and can have the antivirus and firewall in one program interface

10. TechChick

TechChick

When you click on the link to download something, you'll probably be prompted to save the file or run it. If you choose run it, the installation will start immediately, and you'll need to follow some prompts on the screen.

If you choose to save it, you have to select a folder on your comptuer where it should be saved. Then you have to go to that folder and double-click on the file, and that will run through the installation as well.

Also, a firewall program DOES NOT protect your computer from viruses. For that you need virus scan software. I would recommend Norton's Anti-Virus software. It's the best on the market.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63462

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice