1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firewall For Windows acts as ASA ?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by khalidologist, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. khalidologist

khalidologist Thread Starter

Hi I am wondering If there's a free-Software or non-free BETTER FREE Firewall Software based that allow us as the Cisco ASA firewall wich acts like

ALL ports all inbound connections are being closed only allow the return back to me that I initiated at the first place

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I can't understand anything you're asking.

khalidologist likes this.
  3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

If I read the question correctly I think it says
    "Is there a free of charge firewall product, or a paid for product, if one is not available free, that will provide at least the same measure of security as the Cisco
    Adaptive Security Appliance Firewall, system protection products"

If that is the question, then I am not qualified to answer it
    http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/security/asa-5500-series-next-generation-firewalls/index.html

as I am not even on the starting blocks regarding such products, as it is of course not designed or marketed for the computer end-user

If I am correct in my assumption that this question is part of a project set for your studies as
    CCIE Candidate-Sr.Computer Science student

then obviously the Cisco learning Network forum is not going to help, or I would not have thought so.

When you confirm the actual query perhaps someone may have sufficient knowledge of the product to advise you

Within my very limited knowledge I think you can totally discount any chance of there being a free product of such a nature.

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

If the OP is looking for a software based version of the ASA, he's not going to get it for free. OP, you can look at the ASAv. It's Cisco virtual appliance version of the ASA. The catch is you have to run a hypervisor to operate this virtual appliance: VMware, KVM, or HyperV.

Not exactly sure what you're trying to do. If you're trying to set up a lab environment, you're better off buying a ASA5505. You'll be able to do a lot of what you probably want to do with the exception of security contexts. If you are going to buy a ASA5505, make sure it has 1GB of RAM. The newer firmware I forget which version the 1 GB of memory became a requirement. But I've been told by a buddy of mine working at Cisco as a CCIE security engineer that the 1 GB of RAM isn't a hard and fast requirement. The newer firmware will run on 512MB of memory but I think the access rules/NAT tables will be limited in size. But don't quote me on this, it's been years since I talked to him about this concerning the ASA5505s I own.

5. khalidologist

I failed asking it correctly I am sorry .What I need isn't an ASA based software or ASAv I need a firewall program as these built in with Anti virus programs such as Avira 360Sec so on so forth, the program I am searching works as follows :: blocks all inbound connections and allow only connections I initiated in the first place , THAT's why I posted this thread in virus forum first time .

I hope I explained it better

6. khalidologist

I didn't write that in the site infor regarding me how did you know

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

The Windows Advanced Firewall can be configured to drop all inbound and only allow matching outgoing traffic. Just disable the inbound rules. Windows Advanced Firewall comes with Vista and onwards, it is located in Control Panel > Administrative Tools.

8. khalidologist

would you mind explaining that in a little bit more details

I know how to disable ALL in INBOUN , How can I allow only matching OUTGOING

Many thanks in Advance

9. lunarlander

lunarlander

The Windows Advanced Firewall is a 'stateful' firewall. It allows returning traffic if it matches outbound traffic. So lets say you initiated an outbound call from your browser to google.com, then google.com is allowed to return a web page to you. You don't have to set anything for this, it is a default feature.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  10. khalidologist

that is an Awesome new info to me many thanks to you ☺

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1163394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice