1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

firewall issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Flyn67, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Flyn67

Flyn67 Thread Starter

Hello,

Recently I have experienced an issue with one of my apps saying there was an issue with my firewall. The app actually runs ok, but here's the thing that I am having trouble with...

When I check my security settings and look at the firewall section, at first it tells me that at least one of my firewalls are protecting the system. After a short while the statement changes to "Trend Micro PC-cillin (Firewall) is currently ON." That's all well and good except I unistalled and deleted every known reference to Trend Micro on this computer months ago. I've swept the registry both manually and with software. I cannot find any Trend files anywhere. I still find references to it in the system init list when I run msconfig, though.

I am not running MS Firewall (it's turned off). I have a Linksys router with a laptop and another desktop tapped in. The other desktop (my kids') has Trend installed but that shouldn't affect my pc's firewall, should it?

Is there another way to find and set your firewall options that I haven't found? How do I get all references to Trend off this rig?

I'm becoming mildly obsesssed with this...please help.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

What happens if you turn the XP Firewall on . . it should not get in the way and in combination with the router, should offer good protection

3. Flyn67

Flyn67 Thread Starter

OK. It's been a while and I still cannot get anywhere on this issue. I want to rid myself and my computer of Trend Micro's firewall but cannot seem to do so. No matter what I try, the system still says that Trend Micro is managing my firewall. There are two references to Trend in the Control Panel/Administrative tools/services: Trend Micro Central Control Component with a path C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~2\PcCtlCom.exe ... and ... Trend Micro Personal Firewall with a path C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~2\TmPfw.exe. These paths lead to nowhere. I searched my registry for TmPfw.exe and found a reference and deleted it. I also found PcCtlCom.exe and PCCTOOL.exe as well but I'm unsure what to do about them.

I am trying to use a new app for managing my home network and it is telling me (as well as Windows) that Trend is managing my firewall. I have been in cantact wtih Trend and with others but everyone seems to put blinders on and tell me to go to the trend folder and delete...blah blah blah...I have told them in each circumstance the same as I stated here...I have deleted all known files associated with Trend micro already. This is becoming very frustrating.

Please help.

Thanks

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

You can try installing Trend again, then uninstalling it . . that may take out the files that were left from the first attempt

5. Flyn67

Flyn67 Thread Starter

Thanks for you help and input. Unfortunately I no longer have the software. I uninstalled it because I was no longer satisfied with its performance. Guess I'll learn not to delete set-up software from now on.

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

Have you unchecked everything that looks like TrendMicro in msconfig startup tab and services?

Click on Start . . Run . . type msconfig . . click on the Startup and Services tabs to see what is there

7. pedroguy

pedroguy

8. pedroguy

pedroguy

Sorry:Typo
    esupport.trendmicro.com/support/viewxml.do?contentid=en-122087#p67_1775

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544553

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice