1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firewall keeps turning off

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by silvermane, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silvermane

silvermane Thread Starter

I bought an Acer LAptop the other day, and it had a few programs on it that were rubbish so i removed them.

One being the Acer arcade and all its games and also McAfee anti virus.

IT also did a major update as well.

I installed Spybot search and destroy and Avast as I use them on my PC.

I looked it up on the internet as my firewall is turned off when I turn it on, at first I thought it was a problem with the un-installment of the McAfee so I used a special tool, that it recommended, to make sure it was totally gone, and the tool said it was sucessful.

Howver my firewall is still turning off. So I have to keep turning it on when I start the laptop.

Any idea's?

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Is this "Firewall" the Windows firewall or a third party one?

3. silvermane

No dave this is the Vista windows firewall, itself.

I thought it might be a prob with spybot, so i un-installed it, and its still turned off on start up.

I have windows defender, but when i did a search, it does not have a firewall included in it.

I normally can figures these things out for myself but i'm totally stumped.

When I did a search online all i found was mention of the Mcafee being a problem and used the tools as it recommended, no diff, also my spybot WAS set for adminstrator as it recommended on the spybot site (although I uninstalled it just to make sure it wasnt a problem).

4. ShadowProwler420

ShadowProwler420

Sounds like a malware issue to me. Try posting a HJT log over in the HJT forum section and see if anyone can find anything wrong.

5. silvermane

I dont see how it can be a malware issue as other than spybot search and destroy and avast, I haven't installed anything, except windows updates. Its a brand new laptop.

I also did as a precaution do a scan with spybot before I uninstalled it and also windows defender has been scanning daily and nothing found.

however I will do as you suggest re-Hijack this.

6. johng1208

johng1208

I have a similar problem. I upgraded my AVG 7.0 to 8.0 and ever sense, I have to trun on my firewall frequently.

7. cuttlefish

cuttlefish

First Name:
    Ian
    Windows Firewall comes a long way down the list when it comes to the ratings! Just Google for reviews on Windows Firewall x Reviews to verify this ..............

I had a similar problem and eventually switched to COMODO Firewall Pro (free) and other than being the pick of all firewalls, it does a brilliant job.

I know that doesn't solve your problem but you will get a much better firewall ijn the process.

8. johng1208

johng1208

Thank you for the tip - I'm going to do it.

9. silvermane

I still have the problem.

The weird thing is I set up my mates new laptop today her's is vista and also had McAfee on it which I uninstalled with dread, and she has no firewall problem.

Could this problem be caused by the massive Vista update?? Cos they both happened the same day.

10. silvermane

Anyone?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!