1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firewall Leaktest Websites which post Test Result Comparisons

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by lotuseclat79, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Thread Starter

2. Chicon

Chicon

Thanks for sharing the links, Tom.

I've installed a free version of Jetico yesterday. It works nicely and it takes less ressources than ZoneAlarm.

3. PhoenixNEW

PhoenixNEW

Hi

how did you set it up on your system. can you explain?

4. Chicon

Chicon

Hi PhoenixNew,

I will explain you the best I can :
    - First, I logged the computer with Administrator rights after the second reboot of my computer following the installation (the installation asked me to reboot twice),
    - at the startup I got a pop-up to configure the trusted zones, I left it as it was as I do not have any network at home,
    - as my computer is configured to connect the Internet at the start-up, I got a successive serie of pop-ups with the following four radios :
    Allow this activity
    Block this activity
    Handle as ...
    Custom (reject)

When I had the opportunity, I checked the Handle as and then selected Application Trusted zone (the check box Remind my answer is checked)
    - when I was done with the serie of pop-ups, in the console of Jetico, I selected Options then I clicked the General icon : a window opened and there I put a check mark in the four check boxes in the upper part of the window,
    - one by one, I launched all the applications that need to connect the Internet. For each of them, I marked them as Handle as Application Trusted zone, except Outlook Express which to be treated as Handle as Client Mail
    - when I restart the computer, the savings were made.

5. PhoenixNEW

PhoenixNEW

Thanks

Mr Chicon,

Thats was beautiful.. I hope you have passed the test and now you are secure. Jetico is the best firewall ? I am now using Zone Alarm Pro with spy ware

6. Chicon

Chicon

As a freeware, Jetico is better than ZoneAlarm free. It uses less ressources (there's no True Vector Engine) but it blocks more intrusions.

7. hewee

hewee

8. lotuseclat79

Hi hewee,

The firewallleaktester.com website link has been published here before, but the other website is new, I believe as of 01/12/07 (as posted on Wilders Security Forums website) which is where I got wind of it.

Note: the number of new firewall leaktests has increased a lot since the grc.com website published its first leaktest. There are many more sophisticated techniques being used by crackers to commandeer netbot systems of computers. The worst kind are those that use polymorphic and metamorphic encryptions that render them undetectable once they infiltrate a computer. Only the most adept crackers that really know what they are doing inside a computer are capable enough to use those techniques, however, but that may change in the future, as crackers are now cracking, not for fun, but for profit! Better to be safe than sorry with the best protection available - and, I'm not talking about freeware.

Chicon:
    I thought Jetico was no longer freeware with their new version of firewall? Are you sure it was freeware?

-- Tom

9. hewee

hewee

I know I have seen the firewallleaktester site here many times for years.

10. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

11. lotuseclat79

Hi CouchMaster,

That's the old freeware version (i.e. snapfiles) without the new features that I believe Chicon was talking about, if I am not mistaken that is.

-- Tom

12. Chicon

Chicon

Hi Tom,

I've downloaded a free version from here.

13. PhoenixNEW

PhoenixNEW

Hi Chicon

I am Using Avg anti virus 7.5 and not free version. DO you know which which is the best anti virus software out there. Please inform me about new AV products that could be useful to remove virus better and handle security and resources better.

thanks 'n advance
    Phoenix

14. Chicon

Chicon

Hi Phoenix,

AVG is a good anti-virus. I've used it for years.
    You may have a try with Kapersky, ESET Nod32, BitDefender. They are all good.
    ;)

15. lotuseclat79

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536088

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice