Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firewall Question

603 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Dan O 
#1 ·
I am running xp pro with service pack 2. I have a dsl with a router. I have no firewall software program, and I am not running xp's firewall. I went to both symantec and grc.com and tested my security. They both said my computer was very safe. If this is true, why then should i every worry about firewall protection. Is people just trying to sell me something I don't need?

#2 ·
I would never connect a computer to the Internet without a firewall as there are hackers world wide trying to break into your PC. XP's firewall is not very good as it does not block out bound traffic. I use ZoneAlarm. The low level version is free, but I recommend the Plus version. I also recommend you get Microsoft's Anti-Spyware, which is currently free, see: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

#3 ·
I run 4 pc's behind a router. I use the XP firewall in addition for added security. I used Black Ice ( ugly ) and Zone Alarm for three years without a single outbound attempt that was not valid, so when the improved SP2 firewall became available, I started using only that. Been using it since it came out with zero issues. Lower overhead and unlike third party firewalls, it is on from Boot . . which is good if you have an "always on" broadband connection.

wrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.