1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firewall Question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Drumstik, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Drumstik

Drumstik Thread Starter

I am running xp pro with service pack 2. I have a dsl with a router. I have no firewall software program, and I am not running xp's firewall. I went to both symantec and grc.com and tested my security. They both said my computer was very safe. If this is true, why then should i every worry about firewall protection. Is people just trying to sell me something I don't need?

2. Dan O

Dan O

I would never connect a computer to the Internet without a firewall as there are hackers world wide trying to break into your PC. XP's firewall is not very good as it does not block out bound traffic. I use ZoneAlarm. The low level version is free, but I recommend the Plus version. I also recommend you get Microsoft's Anti-Spyware, which is currently free, see: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

I run 4 pc's behind a router. I use the XP firewall in addition for added security. I used Black Ice ( ugly ) and Zone Alarm for three years without a single outbound attempt that was not valid, so when the improved SP2 firewall became available, I started using only that. Been using it since it came out with zero issues. Lower overhead and unlike third party firewalls, it is on from Boot . . which is good if you have an "always on" broadband connection.

wrs

4. Dan O

Dan O

Before I had Microsoft's Anti-Spyware I had adware that all the time trying to send out stuff.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice