1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

firewall/router linux

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by colman77, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. colman77

colman77 Thread Starter

Can anyone recommend a good linux distro for use as a router/firewall? I'm pretty much a newbie to linux, so something not too advanced would be good.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

3. colman77

colman77 Thread Starter

Free is essential.

Clark connect looks good at first glance...will investigate more when I have more time....Thanks for the link, Squashman.

4. LinuxGold

LinuxGold

Any distro would do. For GUI thingie, use Redhat. I would recommend learning Linux's network utilities to enable you to configure network configurations *exactly* the way you want.
    I'll look for NAG (Network Administrator Guide) website and post it here.

5. LinuxGold

LinuxGold

6. Squashman

I know alot more people who use IPcop then Clark connect. It is free as well.

7. JayTheHun

JayTheHun

8. Squashman

9. Gizzmo

Gizzmo

My 2 cents. IPCop is the one I use for bussiness and home use. It has great support and some good modifications that can make it even better. Have a look at the IPCop Support Site for more information.

10. colman77

colman77 Thread Starter

Goin' with Clark connect. Of course, my computer is fighting this every step of the way. It's very unhappy with me for stuffing many ethernet cards into it, and won't let me run any operating systems any more. Error messages all around.

Check out my thread in this forum called EID error?? if you want.

11. stnwerks

stnwerks

Howdy Colman77
    Can'y help much with the clarke connect problems, but suggest you try Smoothwall. I'm running beta 6 and found it easy to set up. They have really good documentation. I had never used a network before let alone set one up and yet I found it rather simple with smoothwall. In fact setting up my linux gateway was easier than installing windows drivers for my netgear nic cards!
    Good luck!!! steve
    http://www.smoothwall.org/

12. deuce868

deuce868

I have not tried it, but I have heard great things about smoothwall. TechTV had a thing on it a while back and I keep telling myself to try it out for a home router.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!