1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firewall script to allow FTP server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by plucnik, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plucnik

plucnik Thread Starter

I've set up an FTP server on a computer that has a static IP. We have a hardware firewall that uses a script to allow access through it. I'm kind of stumped on this one though. I cannot seem to access the FTP server from the WAN side EXCEPT when I drop the firewall. Access from the LAN side isn't a problem. These are the FTP scripts that I have tried. I'm a little fuzzy on the "active" and "passive" FTP concept and that's probably my problem. Can anyone show me the error of my ways?
    Thanks!
    Peter

#ftp from LAN to WAN will be accepted
    remote ipfilter insert input accept -p tcp -sp 21 -dp 1024:65535 internet
    remote ipfilter insert output accept -p tcp -dp 21 -sp 1024:65535 internet
    remote ipfilter insert input accept -p tcp -sp 20 -dp 1024:65535 internet
    remote ipfilter insert output accept -p tcp -dp 20 -sp 1024:65535 internet
    # FTP
    remote ipfilter append input accept -p tcp -sp 20:21 internet
    remote ipfilter append output accept -p tcp -dp 20:21 internet

2. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

What is your hardware firewall?

Does it know what "internet" is?

3. plucnik

plucnik Thread Starter

It's actually built into the the "Efficient Networks" DSL business router (along with DHCP, VPN and a bunch of other features. I've added lines to the firewall script to allow other things like VNC, time service, SSL etc and all work fine. I just think that I have a syntax problem with the FTP and port 20 and 21 script lines.
    Thanks Pete

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217636

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice