Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firewall settings for the HTTP Port (80), HTTPS port (443), and FTP port (21)

9K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
Hi,

I saw this problem listed, but My issue is a bit different and the previous solution didn't work for me.

Please forgive me if any of my posts offend, as I am new to this site. I don't intend to be rude, but my ignorace may anger some. Also forgive the length of the post, I wish to be thorough as to avoid getting possible solutions that I have already tried or are not relavent.

I recently had some repairs done on my computer which involved reformatting my hard drive and when I got it back started having trouble accessing some internet sites. Unlike the previous person's post with this issue i can still access the internet and 95% of sites, but a select (and seemingly random) few give the IE cannot access website error. When I run the networking Diagnostics for Windows XP get the following error:

Check the Firewall settings for the HTTP Port (80), HTTPS port (443), and FTP port (21)

The only firewalls I know of on my computer are Windows and my router (both of which I have disabled) i have also tried Firefox and it craps out at the same exact sites.

In addition to selected sites, some third party programs are having trouble accessing the internet. This includes Nortons Installer (I haven't been able to install my antivirus yet because of this error) and I haven't been abble to register Microsoft office after I installed because it cannot access the internet for ID Key Verification.

I have tried turning off all LAN proxy settings, and power cycling my modem and router, as those were two possible solutions to this problem that other people used. Neither worked.

There is a fair chance that my computer was connected to the internet through another computer when it was being fixed. If this matters.

I am runnign Windows XP and IE 8. Like I said, it also doesn't work on firefox so I think the browser is not an issue.

I can provide any requested information.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
The following tool is often used to screen for malware. I am not qualified to do that, and am only requesting the output so that I can see if there may be another firewall of which you are not aware.

Click here to download HJTInstall.exe
  • Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
  • Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop.
  • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
  • Click on Install.
  • It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
  • Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
  • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
  • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
  • Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
  • DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

#3 ·
Thank you for the Response!

I have done as you asked, the log file is below. Also please note, (If this is of any relavence) The link you gave me is one of the sites that I cannot access because of this problem. I had to download the file using a different computer.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 10:24:41 AM, on 8/21/2011
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTXFIHLP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CTXFISPI.EXE
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RunDLL32.exe
C:\Utility Files\Sound Blaster X-Fi\DVDAudio\CTDVDDET.EXE
C:\Utility Files\Sound Blaster X-Fi\Volume Panel\VolPanel.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\Module Loader\DLLML.exe
C:\Utility Files\CyberLink\Power2Go\CLMLSvc.exe
C:\Utility Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD9\PDVD9Serv.exe
C:\Program Files\Cyberlink\Shared files\brs.exe
C:\Utility Files\lg_fwupdate\fwupdate.exe
C:\Program Files\Belkin\Router Setup and Monitor\BelkinRouterMonitor.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Belkin\Router Setup and Monitor\BelkinSetup.exe
C:\Program Files\Belkin\Router Setup and Monitor\BelkinService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v3.0\WPF\PresentationFontCache.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA Updatus\daemonu.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew\Application Data\U3\0690AB6050810926\LaunchPad.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Utility Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,,C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\tijejkxp\cobqtneg.exe
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTxfiHlp] CTXFIHLP.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RunDLL32.exe NvMCTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit -login
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nView\nwiz.exe /installquiet
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTDVDDET] "C:\Utility Files\Sound Blaster X-Fi\DVDAudio\CTDVDDET.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VolPanel] "C:\Utility Files\Sound Blaster X-Fi\Volume Panel\VolPanel.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AudioDrvEmulator] "C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\Module Loader\DLLML.exe" -1 AudioDrvEmulator "C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\Module Loader\Audio Emulator\AudDrvEm.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CLMLServer] "C:\Utility Files\CyberLink\Power2Go\CLMLSvc.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateP2GoShortCut] "C:\Utility Files\CyberLink\Power2Go\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Utility Files\CyberLink\Power2Go" UpdateWithCreateOnce "SOFTWARE\CyberLink\Power2Go\6.0"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl9] "C:\Utility Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD9\PDVD9Serv.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BDRegion] C:\Program Files\Cyberlink\Shared files\brs.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LGODDFU] "C:\Utility Files\lg_fwupdate\fwupdate.exe" blrun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdatePSTShortCut] "C:\Utility Files\CyberLink\Blu-ray Disc Suite\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Utility Files\CyberLink\Blu-ray Disc Suite" UpdateWithCreateOnce "Software\CyberLink\PowerStarter"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InstaLAN] "C:\Program Files\Belkin\Router Setup and Monitor\BelkinRouterMonitor.exe" startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CobQtneg] C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\tijejkxp\cobqtneg.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [EA Core] "C:\Utility Files\EADM\Core.exe" -silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] "C:\Utility Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -silent
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\UTILIT~1\MICROS~1\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\UTILIT~1\MICROS~1\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\UTILIT~1\MICROS~1\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\UTILIT~1\MICROS~1\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: AffinegyService - Affinegy, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Belkin\Router Setup and Monitor\BelkinService.exe
O23 - Service: CyberLink Product - 2011/08/20 12:40:30 (CLKMSVC10_59B4F3F3) - CyberLink - C:\Utility Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD9\NavFilter\kmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Update Service Daemon (nvUpdatusService) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA Updatus\daemonu.exe
--
End of file - 7392 bytes

#4 ·
I don't see anything of interest there.

Let's see for the problem PC and for one that doesn't have the trouble ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

#5 ·
This is for the working computer. It is connected via wireless network to the router. I will post the problem computer shortly

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : XXXXXX
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Belkin
Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin Surf & Share Wireless USB Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 94-44-52-88-98-58
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::fde0:f3d3:d806:80d5%12(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.4(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 21, 2011 10:09:11 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, September 27, 2147 8:27:51 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-54-13-1F-DF
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{AE2288C0-0B3A-4D50-81BB-66442F436
39C}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.Belkin
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:1061:209b:3f57:fdfb(Pref
erred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1061:209b:3f57:fdfb%13(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

#6 ·
This is the problem computer. It is connected to the modem using a wired connection.

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : XXXXXX
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Belkin
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Cont
roller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-B9-37-DF-F1
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 21, 2011 10:56:16 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 18, 2038 8:14:07 PM

#7 ·
Sorry, I'm almost completely stumped. :(

The working PC has a Lease that ends in 2147 and the problem PC has a Lease that ends in 2038. That extreme difference may mean the router is not working perfectly or one of the PCs is having an issue communicating with it.

Make sure you have the latest router firmware; then reset the router to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

If still the same problem try a different ethernet cable between PC and router.

If still the same problem try setting the Lease period on the router to a week instead of 'forever.' I don't expect this to make a difference, but it may be interesting to see if the PCs get similar ending times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.