1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firewall Software Behind a Router?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cwilmot, Sep 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cwilmot

cwilmot Thread Starter

I have just recently networked 2 PCs. Prior to networking I was using a software firewall ((Kerio Personal) on each. Upon installing a router I was advised to uninstall my software firewall since the router already provides that function. However, since then I have been receiving conflicting opinions about the advisability of my having uninstalled Kerio. Perhaps as many as 50% of those to whom I talk recommend the continued use of a software firewall in conjunction with a router. What is the concensus of the readers of this forum re: this issue? If the use of both is generally recommended, what is the thinking as to which firewall software is best? TIA.

2. mobo

mobo

All I personally use is the Dlink router firewall along with Norton Sytemworks and spyware Blaster and I don't have any problems.

3. ajdupont

ajdupont

4. mobo

mobo

The only reason I could thing of in running a software firewall behind a hardware firewall would be so that it would prompt you when an application requests access to the internet. Those applications would come in the form of dialers and other spybots. My theory is if you keep that crud off your system then its not a matter of denying them access...

Just my opinion though...

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

One other possible use is if you have some server or game applications and have a number of ports open to the Internet, the software firewall would protect you if you're not on the machine with the open ports.

6. BillC

BillC

It is my opinion to keep the firewall because a router will only monitor anfd block incoming traffiic. So often users catch viruses and get trojans from e-mail or file sharing. Once in, there is nothing to stop the evilness from "calling home". As motherboard said,
    ......... And I for one want the additional protection.

Also,I don't know about Kerio, but my ZoneAlarm Pro has a mailsafe feature that as recently as yesterday caught and quarantined 4 e-mails containing W32/[email protected] .

BTW, I also am behind a NetGear router and there is no conflict with the ZAP. Anyway, that's my view. :D

7. mobo

mobo

Kerio does not have that option Bill, In addition I rely on Norton to keep out the uglies, and my best antivirus is myself anyway(Don't use p2p filesharing and don't open email from unknown users especially with attachments.

8. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

Linksys router and Sygate Firewall with no problems here....and I would recommend using a software firewall with your router. It's a router...not a firewall. Sure it has some firewall capabilities but that's not it's primary purpose so I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket.

9. panzer999

panzer999

My LinkSys router came with NIS software to install on my computer.

Guess LinkSys thinks you need a software firewall behind a router :D

10. mobo

mobo

I guess but do find it a bit intriguing because of the fact that d-link prides itself on its firewall capabilities...

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165902

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice