1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

firewall stopping network discovery

Discussion in 'Networking' started by billstudio, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. billstudio

billstudio Thread Starter

first time on tech forum of any kind so go slow folks. I am running windows 7 32bit For years I've been set up on a home network. The other day I noticed when I open windows explorer other computers in the house are no longer under networks tab. if I click on networks it says "network discovery and file sharing are turned off, click to change" I click and nothing. I've then gone into network and sharing center/ advanced sharing settings and turned on network discovery and file and printer sharing...saved changes and it wont save they keep turning themselves back off. However if I go into windows Firewall and turn it off THERE MY NETWORK IS! So far ive run 2 WMI and windows Firewall repair programs. and gone through a tone of config steps in the start menu suggested by google searches. I need this network to work but dont want to be with out firewall protection. Last I did have a nasty virus a few weeks ago that I was able to get rid of with microsoft security essentials in safe mode but may have changed something there during removal.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

First, go to Network and Sharing Center and see what network profile you are using : Public, Work or Home. In order for Network Discovery to work, it must be either Home or Work. Then go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Windows Firewall with Advanced Security. Click Inbound Rules on the left. Then scroll down the mid panel till you see a list Network Discovery settings. Enable those that match your current profile. ( Home or Work = Private -profile )

3. billstudio

I am on a home network. went to inbound rules... the only thing there are 4 java(TM) Platform SE binary

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

So you're saying for inbound rules, you only have 4 rules for Java in green color ?

5. billstudio

Correct. there are 4 rules for java only 2 of them have green checks before them and say Profile-private and enabled-yes. The other 2 have gray checks and say Profile-public and enabled-no. Thats it! no other programs or functions in the inbound rules window. tried to take screen shot cant figure out how.

6. billstudio

here are screen shots I think

Attached Files:

7. billstudio

also in firewall properties tabs are set to:
    domain profile inbound connections-allow and outbound-allow (default)
    private profile inbound-block (default) and outbound-allow (default)
    public profile inbound-block (default) and outbound-allow (default)

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

What happened to your out-of-box inbound rules ? They are all gone !

Start the Firewall with Advanced Security again. On the right panel, click Restore Default Policy.

I doubt java needs those inbound rules, but if so, go to java.com and download the latest version and install that.

9. billstudio

restored default policy... now when I go into Inbound Rules it's empty... and says "there are no items to show in this view". Can I uninstall this firewall and reinstall a new version? it seems this 1 has been corrupted in some way maybe when I cleaned that virus a few weeks ago.
    I ran diagnose/repair below restore default policy and clicked on Homegroup and went through the wizard (attached screen shots) hit apply fix and got a NO FIX.

Attached Files:

10. billstudio

update! never could figure it all out! I installed zonealarm anti-virus + firewall. had to uninstall microsoft security essentials and turn off windows firewall but they haven't really done a good job since I got them with my windows 7 upgrade from xp. Ive had numerous virus problems since then so hoping this will be a better fit for me. Any feedback on zonealarm would be appreciated! I do have 1 seperate question: now under network in windows explorer I see 3 computers (my desktop, my laptop, and something that says cisco#####) is that my router and why is it calling it a computer? If I double click theres nothing there. Also below computers is Media Devices/ bill-laptop. why is this here, how does media devices differ from computers. lastly below all that is Network Infrastructure and again cisco#####. I double clicked and bottom of screen says installing drivers, now says microsoft wireless router module driver software installed successfully.I have a linksys by cisco router (installed 2 years ago) so not understanding what is installing and why?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088495

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice