1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

firewall wondering....

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by dondersjoris, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dondersjoris

dondersjoris Thread Starter

hi, I was wondering; is a free firewall (such as zone alarm,...) a better choise than using the
    Windows XP serv.pack 2 - firewall ? And, of course, why? Kind regards, Joris

2. golferbob

golferbob

here is a website that has a lot of firewalls. i have used zone alarm free in the past and will go back to it after my free[ha,ha] year is up with mcafee from dell. i don't know which is better.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads34.html

3. new tech guy

new tech guy

Well, you recommended probably the best free solution off the bat, zone alarm. McAfee is a good utility only if i am correct, it only has a single direction firewall. Zonealarm has bi directional support so both inbound AND outbound is protected from attacks. So i would simply say load zone alarm and call it a day.

4. golferbob

golferbob

i had no problems with zone alarm ,it does a nice job.

5. 40south

40south

Hi dondersjoris,
    Click on here and make your own choice of free firewall software - I've tried both zone alarm and kerio and found them both excellent products -- windows firewall only protects incoming -- you need a product that protects incoming and outgoing just like new tech guy has said -- both are user friendly -- I think kerio has a smaller footprint than zone alarm -- doesn't take as long to download.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544031

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice