1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

firewall wont stay enable

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tindal, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tindal

tindal Thread Starter

i have window xp i have been trying to enable my firewall. i check the box and then ok. then i will go right back to it and it is still check but if i go back just a little bit later its now uncheck. what can i do to make it stay checked??

2. OlTramp

OlTramp

3. BillC

BillC

Let me add another thought. There are viruses that shut down various firewalls as part of their evil plan. If you are using a firewall other than the one that came with your XP, you will want to turn off the XP firewall once you can keep it running. Tis not a good idea to run more than one.

I totally agree with OlTramp, if you need a firewall, ZoneAlarm is a great one.

I'd do a virus scan to see if anything might be lurking on your machine causing the shut down. TrendMicro's free online scan

4. tindal

tindal Thread Starter

thanks i will try that. i'm running the xp firewall. my computer is starting to do other little things. its disconnecting and then i'll reconnect but the computer wont recognize it, but the line is active. thanks for the help.

5. BillC

BillC

Sure sounds like something you don't want has gotten itself in your machine. I'd still do the scan.

My biased opinion is that you should follow OlTramp's suggestion and get ZoneAlarm installed. The basic version is free and very effective. And if you do that turn the XP firewall off after the installation. Good luck.

6. OlTramp

OlTramp

Hi Tindal-
    I agree with BillC. Do the scan and then do the following.
    Reboot your computer and
    run Spybot S&D. You can get it here-
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/SPYBOT/
    Unzip and update. Install the updates and run. Delete all that it marks in red.
    Then go here for Hijack This-
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/
    Unzip and scan. The scan button will turn into a save log button. Save it,copy and paste it back into this thread. Don't fix anything yet because most of it is needed.
    If your computer is acting strange it will probably show up in Hijack This,

7. tindal

tindal Thread Starter

i did the first part and had a lot of things in red, corrected that and tryied the second part but it keeps stay that its corput or invalid and cant be open. if i install zone alarm will that fix things that are wrong now? i just bought a anti virus software but it wont be here for a little while. will they interfer with each other?

8. Topkat

Topkat

If you're asking whether the ZA firewall and Antivirus will interfer with each other, then definitely not!!! In fact, these days having both of these running is considered the absolute minimum in computer security.
    Just out of curiosity, which anti virus did you buy?

9. tindal

tindal Thread Starter

norton xp 2003 something like that, i'm not a computer person i dont know much about this things. i have hard enough time founding games that will run

10. Topkat

Topkat

If I'm understanding you correctly, then you've downloaded Spybot and fixed the spyware nasties(red entries), but you cannot open Hijack This after downloading it. Is this correct?

It's advisable to do both these things, but for now the greatest priority is doing the online scan since you haven't installed the Norton AV.

[edit] Forgot to answer your queston about ZA fixing these problems. It's the job of an anti-virus, as it's name suggests to spot and quarintine a virus if it's responsible for this. Norton when you've installed it will do this job for you automatically once you've configured it properly.

The FW will protect against the possibility that a hacker could try to break into your computer and access your files.
    Anti-virus software will protect your computer from viruses that can cause serious data corruption. Your computer can pick up a virus from anything you download that has encountered that virus - therefore a firewall alone will not necessarily protect you from a virus.

Hope this helps!

:D

11. OlTramp

OlTramp

I agree that the most important thing now is the virus scan.
    As for not being able to open HijackThis, what OS do you have. Hijack comes as a zipped file. You will need a program such as winzip to "unzip" it. They have a free evaluation copy here-
    http://winzip.com/
    It's been a while since I had to manually unzip a program but I think it is pretty much automatic. If not another poster will tell you how to go about it.
    After you have resolved any virus possibilities then download HJT and follow directions from above. Keep us posted on your progress.(y)

12. Topkat

Topkat

If that's what your problem with using HijackThis really is then WinZip is your only man!

It's easy as pie to use. There will be an extra winzip option added to your right click. Click it and from here it will give you the option to extract the files to wherever you want on your machine.

And 'Hey Presto!', HijackThis.exe right where you want it.

Hope this helps!

:D

13. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164717

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice