1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

firewall

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Elfus, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Elfus

Elfus Thread Starter

I have window xp with 250mb of memory. Would it be possiable for me to run 2 firewalls without a problem?

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Hi there,Why on earth would you want to run two firewalls at the same time? its not advisable as they would conflict with each other ;)

3. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

All you need is Zone Alarm ;)

4. Elfus

Elfus Thread Starter

Ok, the reason I asked that question is because I have a new computer and I have a free firewall until the end of October (Mcafee). I don't think it works too good. I wanted to try something else first with out getting rid of Mcafee. Is this possiable?

5. Elfus

Elfus Thread Starter

Tele, sorry when I answered the last post I didn't see yours until I sent the other one. Ok so there would be a conflict. What it I just left the program on the computer but took it off the start up?

6. mobo

mobo

Get rid of the mcaffee. Try out the zone alarm, sygate or kerio for good protection.

7. BillC

BillC

I gree with the ZoneAlarm recommendations and would totally get rid of McAfee. Also, make sure you turn off your XP firewall once you have another one installed.

In XP, you can turn off the firewall by Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > and then stop Application Layer Gateway Service. ;)

8. Elfus

Elfus Thread Starter

If I left the xp firewall on after getting another firewall would that cause a conflict?

9. mobo

mobo

Yes it will, go to control panel/administrative tools / services and scroll down to application layer ateway . Right click it and set it to disable then apply and stop.

10. Elfus

Elfus Thread Starter

ok thanks

11. mobo

mobo

No problem :D

12. adambailey

adambailey Guest

if you have xp pro the built in fire wall is good e-nuff!
    but if you want to really make sure get norton personal firewall 2003! dont get zone alarm its crap

13. mobo

mobo

Sorry to contrast, but have you done a security scan while only running the xp firewall ? I have and let me say that it is nothing more than a want to be firewall that will leave users with a false sense of security.

14. Elfus

Elfus Thread Starter

No I didn't do a security scan while running the xp firewall, but I had read in Smart Computing mag. that the xp firewall wasn't much good.

15. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Adam that is your opinion and simply is not true. Hundreds of thousands of people use Zone Alarm EVERYDAY with no problems at all! Personally I think it is the best firewall out there. It is one of the few programs on my computer that has NEVER given me ANY problems at all, and I have it on 3 computers!

As noted above, having a false sense of security is WORSE than no security at all.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164147

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice