1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firewall

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by kissflysky, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kissflysky

kissflysky Thread Starter

ok, I have a fire wall... yeah... and I can only connect to the internet when its not on.. which is a waste... so whats wrong here?

2. Maritimesea

Maritimesea

Sounds just like it's not configured properly. Which one do you have? If you connect to the internet first and then fire up the firewall what happens? Are you immediately disconnected? Any error messages popping up? What OS do you have? What kind of internet connection, dial up, high speed? Let us know please.

3. Tranquility

Tranquility

And is it a hardware or a software firewall?

4. BillC

BillC

Without the benefit of the answers to the above questions, I'd suggest a couple of possible solutions. First, have you granted your browser ( IE or whatever ) access in the Programs control? Also, depending on your OS, you may need to grant access to Windows Explorer and Generic Host Process.

Next, you want to make certain your DNS and DHCP servers are in the trusted zone of your Zones panel. Does that help?

5. Deke40

Deke40

Depending on your firewall, there are numerous firewall forums out there dedicated to helping set them up.

I use Kerio 2.1.5, which is an old rules based firewall but is a popular version that takes a little work but is pretty well bulletproof and has a great forum at this link.

I am not suggesting you use Kerio instead of your present one but just showing some possible ways to work through your problem.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272672

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice