1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firewalls and home networking.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by musiclover, Apr 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. musiclover

musiclover Thread Starter

All, I am using Sygate firewall, though reading around here this may not be the best choice. Having a lot of problems sharing printers, and directories on the network. Also, can't figure out how to get Ultra VNC working to let me get into the machine in my office from the one upstairs..

Are these activities easy to allow with other firewalls, or am I missing something with my current one...???

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Any firewall has to be configured to open the ports for various services like file/print sharing, VNC, etc.

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

If you are trying to do the things you've listed within your internal private network, the firewall has nothing to do with this other than if you have all devices plugged into the switch ports of the firewall purely for connectivity.

The only time a firewall will affect local/same subnet traffic is if it's configured as a transparent firewall.

4. JohnWill

I think he's talking about a software firewall, and your information is incorrect. http://sygate.com/

5. zx10guy

I don't deal much with software firewalls unless it's Linux and IPTables. So yes, my information is incorrect being that you're saying Sygate is a software firewall.

My information is correct when it relates to hardware firewalls which was my assumption.

6. JohnWill

Right, you are correct about hardware firewalls. I suspected that you weren't thinking "small" like most home users. :D

7. zx10guy

Yeah, you got that right. I keep having to ground myself. Not trying to be elitist. I just need to recalibrate myself when I'm answering questions on this forum. It's my bad on that. :D

It also doesn't help that when I come home and mess with my home network it's also not your typical home user network either. ;)

8. JohnWill

As I have observed in other threads. ;)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/705181

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice