1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firewalls For Real

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by woderwick66, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. woderwick66

woderwick66 Thread Starter

Does anyone have any suggestions for blocking TCPIP Kernel Drivers.
    I have the Kerio Personal Firewall installed.
    There is a veritable barage of IP Addresses sending Kernel Drivers.
    I've tried Pop Up Eliminator, but this doesn't stop the Kernel Drivers popping up. There can be as many as half a dozen in the space of a few minutes.
    It's got to the point that I have to disable traffic just to be able to type. The kernel drivers actually override the firewall.
    Any ideas?

2. mobo

mobo

I assume you're denying access but are you selecting the option to hide further popups from attempts ?

3. woderwick66

Thanks for the reply
    The answer to your question is no I'm not.
    Will interogate the firewall help menus to see if i can do this.
    You obviously wouldn't be saying this if it weren't possible.
    Back in touch after this.
    Regards Guy.

4. woderwick66

Thanks for the advice,
    Isolating "attempts" proved successful.
    The pop-ups have stopped and I must say it's a relief to be able to type without the constant interference.
    However, it was also an interesting exercise, if only to know a little more of the world of firewalls.
    Regards Guy.

5. mobo

mobo

You're welcome Guy

6. woderwick66

Thanks Motherboard,
    Running two firewalls now and have a greater appreciation of how to use them. Sorry for the slackness, quite a silly question, considering the ease of its solution.

7. mobo

mobo

You may want to shutdown one of those as you may have conflicts between each other and an overall slowdown in internet speed.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  9. woderwick66

Thanks Motherboard and Triple 6,
    Yes there does appear to be a slight conflict: one firewall has to ask the other firewall for permission to contact the internet. Strangely the one that is dominant is the one that blocks all incoming without a pop up notification.
    Internet speed has not reduced markedly, but then the time taken to continually click on the pop up "deny" of "allow" means that internet speed is perhaps a little faster--given that there is no need to deal with access protocols while loading a site.
    Strangely again, the least dominant firewall is the most dominant in Outlook. Here there is notification of the sites accessed in the name of receiving mail, even after the mail has been received.

Will certainly delete one of the firewalls when finished examining the difference.
    Don't you people sleep on the other side of the world?

10. mobo

mobo

Only 9pm here..Mama lets me up late after I turned 35 :D

11. Topkat

Topkat

I forget who said it now, but one of the folks on here compared using 2 firewalls like you are to a situation where 2 kids are playing baseball going for the same ball, both shouting for it. And in the end no-one catches it.
    I thought this was an inspired analogy. Hit the nail right on the head.

Btw, you don't necessarily need to delete one of the FW's. Just as long as you disable it so only one is running you'll be fine!

Hope this helps!
    :D

12. woderwick66

Glad to hear motherboard has the "stay up late option", you can probably tell by name Mum doesn't let me stay up past dusk.
    Thanks too to Topkat, you blokes are mind readers: I had just finished an aborted attempt at uninstalling the Kerio firewall. Not that this is not a good firewall, but I just like the look of the other one, it's a nicer colour and it's easier to read.
    Did the normal thing first and went to Add/Remove, hit the uninstall option and waited for what seemed like an eternity.
    Ultimately this produced a screen telling me that things hadn't gone so well and would i like to try again? Being fairly easy going, and with a name like mine, I said yes. However same result.
    Went down to the system tray and right clicked to remove the firewall icon to find this is not an option.
    Opened the system files from my computer and tried to delete the folder. This resulted in the message "unable to delete PERSFW.exe as the source file is still in use."
    Any ideas on how to finish this rather messy uninstall?

13. mobo

mobo

Do it from safe mode as some of the processes are running in real time...

14. woderwick66

thanks motherboard,
    I'm new to win2000 and not familiar with how to use safe mode to delete files but will check references in the help section. Feel free to give a blow by blow if you have the time to do so.
    thank you again ...it's like having an online guru.

15. woderwick66

Thanks to Triple 6 too,
    Used the Trend.com site that you provided and while the results were nothing to get upset about, it did jolt the memory enough to question assumptions.
    I use virus software and had not noticed it had been disabled to install something.
    Just goes to prove that the input of another is always better than listening to one's own rhetoric.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164123

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice