1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

firewalls?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sweetcheekies, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sweetcheekies

sweetcheekies Thread Starter

Okay I had, had some recent troubles with my computer ( bad virus' etc ) and had to reformat my computer. Now I have Norton Antivirus. ( before ran AVG free) I don't have the internet firewall connected but it still seems like I have one.. My downloads arent right and so far all things point to Norton. I have never experienced this before when I didn't have norton. A few people told me that Norton can do this. Is there any way around it? I am running winxp pro. Also having trouble with it accessing my mail It just keeps searching for it but not recieving. I have reformated a few times before without any troubles.

Sweetc

2. Katzy

Katzy

Don't have a firewall????

EEK!

3. zmaster

zmaster

What do you mean your "downloads aren't right"? does that mean that you can't download anything? or what? What service pack do you have on your xp pro? what norton version are you running?

by the way thats a cheeky link Katzy :p

4. sweetcheekies

I have service pack 1 and when i am downloading i am getting very slow download rates .. everything I have been able to find out says that I am behind a firewall. I dont know where this firewall is that I supposedly have is.. Its not the windows one because that is turned off . I am running Norton 2004 version 10.0.1.13

5. Dan O

Dan O

Have you checked what is being started during boot up?

Run MSCONFIG and select the Startup tab.

As a test uncheck everything and try a download from a safe site like www.Microsoft.com. Then add one back at a time and test to find which one of them is causing the problem.

Good luck.

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Did you connect back to the router we talked about yesterday?

7. John Burns

John Burns

PHP:
    Have you checked what is being started during boot up?

There is a nice free program out there that gives you this easier - and alerts you to any CHANGES in startup programs for anyone who is interested. It is WinPatrol http://www.winpatrol.com Just a suggestion.

8. sweetcheekies

okay on startup via msconfig is CcApp and Noads... also I am on my router.. its a Netgear RP614.. and have no clue if that one has firewall etc.

9. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

Is this just the norton antivirus or is it also system works / internet security?

For your mail troubles, check the settings in norton for email scanning. Try (temporarily) disabling the scan email options. This may allow your mail to pass through.

If not....
    What mail client are you using? In OE, you sometimes need to delete then readd your account (tools->accounts->mail, delete you account) Then recreate your account. *Before* you delete the account, edit it and write down all the mail server info from the servers tab....

You may also want to try uninstalling norton. (disable it before uninstalling)

those are norton startup progs... and that router has a firewall. I don't know if you have it enabled or not...

10. sweetcheekies

okay its just norton anti virus.. and I had to delete my email account then set it back up and all is fine.. question about norton.. how do i get it to stop popping up that little message every time something is waiting to be scanned? I dont want to uncheck the wrong thing .... and I have no clue how to tell if my router has it enabled or not.. can you please tell me how? thanks for all the help

SweetC

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

That is what the norton email scanning does ;)

Call you ISP and see if they can see behind your router. They should be able to tell you that.

12. sweetcheekies

okay.. will do that.. wanna see me stump them lol
    this outta be interesting .. ... i am laughing cause i am through a very very small company who knows diddly squat about things.. shoot i know more than they do lol ( that aint saying much trust me lol ) but will do .. who knows they might shock me lol what do i ask them to look for?

13. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

Yeah... This is because notron sets up something that works like a proxy between your mail client and your mail server. But its often bad about passing these settngs into outlook... Recreating the account makes outlook detect the current settings.

Are your downloads still slow?

For your routers firewall, open the routers config. There may be a link for the firewall on the main page, if not goto the WAN or the Advanced page. There should be a section on Firewall in one of these. There should be a check box for "use firewall"...

14. Katzy

Katzy

It's meant to make you want to click on it. ;)

Here, in the UK, our ladies get free mammograms. I'm trying to let American women get the same... :D:D:D:D

15. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

I will gladly help them examine for lumps... ;-)
    ...for free even...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275007

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice