1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firewire 6 pin, 4 pin?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by raybro, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Hi... I'm compiling a list of hardware to buy so I can add an external HDD. I already have a Belkin 3-port PCI card (P/N 5U503) and the enclosures I have looked at on Newegg say they are both USB 2 and IEEE 1394 compliant. The card has 6 pin ports, but I'm unable to ascertain what "IEEE 1394 compliant" means for the enclosure. Does it have both 4 pin and 6 pin connections. The point being... do I need a 6-4 pin cable or a 6-6 pin cable?

As always, any input is much appreciated.

Raybro

2. linskyjack

linskyjack

six-six.

3. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Thanks linskyjack... That seemed a reasonable assumption, just wanted some assurance.

Raybro

4. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

In doing further research on this subject, I found on the Belkin site, they provide a cable with their 1394A firewire PCI card which has a 6-pin connection on one end and a 4-pin connection on the other. Take a look here. The card shown (P/N F5U501) is very similar to the one I have (P/N F5U503). This at least implies the divice to which the card is to be connected has a 4-pin receptical. Any thoughts on that.

I'm just trying to figure out what cable to order with an external IEEE1394A hard drive enclosure and get it right the first time.

Raybro

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The 6 pin wire carries power, the 4 pin does not. Both are IEEE1394 compliant but it should state the type of connector it uses. As to which cable you'll need is dependent on the enclosure you buy, it may even come with a cable.

Which enclosure? Most would use the 6 pin connector.

6. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

I'm still not getting a clue here. I have searched on Newegg for 1394 hard drive enclosures with this result. I can find only one case where they indicate the type connection on the enclosure (4-pin or 6-pin). Is there a standard or does one just have to shoot in the dark? Is the AC Adapter status (Yes/No) a clue?

Raybro

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

All of the external IEE-1394 cases I've seen use the 6 pin connector, even though they don't necessarily use the power.

8. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Looks like I'll have to go with the experience and order a 6-6 cable with the enclosure. Thanks to all for their responses.

Raybro

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, the 4 pin it the little tiny connector. ;)

11. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

I was in town today, so I stopped into the local PCClub and that is the same thing the guy there said. Look at the pics (and hope they got the correct pic with the device). :rolleyes:

Thanks to all for the input... Raybro

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice