1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firewire card works on T41 but not on HP 530

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by markraymond, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markraymond

markraymond Thread Starter

Hi, I've just got a firewire card to use with my laptops, its an ST-Lab 1394a 32-bit PCMCIA Type II Carbus Adapter with 3 six pin firewire 400 ports. Ive plugged it into my IBM T41 and it works fine connected to my camcorder, but when I plug it into my HP 530 nothing happens, nothing at all, no beeps, no messages. I've plugged the card in on its own with no cables plugged in to it.

The HP 530 is brand new and both laptops are running XP pro SP3. In the device manager on the HP, the driver for the PCMCIA adapter seems to have no problems, it's Generic CardBus Controller Version 5.1.2600.0 and it says the device is working properly.

I've looked on the HP website for a PCMCIA driver but there's nothing there. On the ST-Lab website the product page for the card CB-FW1394 (VIA 6306L) it says it doesn't require a driver. There is jack on the card for a power adapter, I don't know if this makes any difference.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do next cos I'm completely stumped:confused:.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers Mark

2. markraymond

markraymond Thread Starter

I think I'm getting there. On the IBM T41 I have a different driver installed for the PCMCIA cardbus.
    I've managed to find a VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller driver which should work on the HP 530 but I can't install it because windows says the version I have already is the most up to date. I've tried uninstalling the current driver but then I can't find an option to manually install my driver. If I use the add hardware wizard it just automatically installs its own driver without asking me.

Don't know how the hell to get this old driver installed.

Is there any way to stop windows automatically installing drivers when I scan for new hardware?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/746608

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice