1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

firewire/ipod Questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 2steps, Feb 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 2steps

2steps Thread Starter

Can I buy a firewire to usb converter? As I want to buy an ipod but do not have wirewire on pc. Or if I wanted to add firewire how do I check that my pc will accept it ok?

2. BillC

BillC

You should be able to put a firewall on your computer wiyhout a problem. Once there, you then will need to configure it to allow certain programs to access the internet, etc.

A truely great firewall is Zone Alarm basic and it is free so you can give it a go. You should indeed have a firewall in my view.

3. 2steps

2steps Thread Starter

thanks, I have the zone alarm firewall, very good it is too but it's firewire I'm asking about, the port type for connecting devices too

4. 2steps

2steps Thread Starter

no sorry, I want to buy the ipod mp3 player. It has a firewire connector, so it can connected to the pc for transfering music. I don't have firewire ports on my pc as it's a few years old and so either need to buy a converter so I can plug the ipod into a usb port or fit a firewire port to my pc

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  6. BillC

BillC

Duh. My reading glasses needing cleaning. I read firewire as firewall. Sorry about that. I'm sorry but I'm not up on these type connections except to say that i think you can do either of the things you said. Either you need to buy a converter so you can plug the ipod into a usb port or fit a firewire port to your pc. I'm sorry I've got no idea which you should do. Hopefully someone else will point you in the right direction. Sorry. :(

7. 2steps

2steps Thread Starter

That's ok, thanks for trying to help

Thanks triple 6, will take a look

8. 2steps

2steps Thread Starter

I'm in the uk so that's no good but at least I know what I'm looking for better now :) I would prefer a converter for the plug (I have one that is ps2 to usb) rather than puttting in a new card as the ipod is a present and I haveno real way to find out if the card will work in their pc ok and don't want to spend £400 on the ipod and then they can't use it

9. 2steps

2steps Thread Starter

got this sorted, ta. For future info there is no converter, you need to buy a card :)

10. 2steps

2steps Thread Starter

I have a pc running windows me and want to buy an ipod. Will it work ok and can I use any other connection other than firewire? I can buy an dfit a firewire card but don't know a lot about hardware so am bothered about buying something incompatable with my system

Thanks

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Nevermind, I see you opened a new thread and said Windows ME.

Actually, I think I'm going to just merge them as it flows together ;)

12. 2steps

2steps Thread Starter

just read it uses usb 2 as well, would i be better off fittting a usb 2 card to the pc?

13. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Firewire is faster, but depending on how many free slots you have in the computer and your future USB purchases......

14. 2steps

2steps Thread Starter

not sure about free slots, itI'll have to seek a look tomorrow. The pc is a desktop type case rather than a tower though and the slots in the back (where the ports would be) look smaller than they normally are, to m. So do I need a card specifically for a desktop case? can be sure about future purchases, already have joypad, camera and memory stick all with usb ports

15. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!