1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firewire not recognised

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cuillin, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cuillin

Cuillin Thread Starter

I've just bought a 3.5" Firewire/USB Combo enclosure which connects up by USB fine but when I try to use the Firewire connection it doesn't appear to register. When I connect the Firewire cable I hear an audible notification that this has happened but nothing else. The drive does not show up in either My Computer or Windows Explorer.

If I look in "System>Hardware>device Manager" I see the Following:
    Under "Disk Drives" Prolific PL3507 Combo Device (1394-ATAPI rev 1.10) IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device. This has an exclamation mark in a yellow circle.

Further down I see:
    IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers
    Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    and Below this under Network Adapters:
    IEEE 1394 Net Adapter.
    Both of which are reported as working.

I have tried uninstalling all of these and then reinstalling but with no effect.

Any ideas anybody?

2. DaChew

DaChew

I would disable the net adapter part, who uses firewire as an internet connection?

3. Cuillin

Cuillin Thread Starter

I've disabled the Net Adapter but the Firewire Enclosure is still not recognised despite still getting the audible notification that something has been connected.

4. DaChew

DaChew

Is this onboard firewire, if so what's the make and model of the computer?

Or is it a pci card or even an adapter(pcmia) for a laptop?

What's the OS and service pack?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Post a link to this part. I would think you need to connect the firewire part of the device to an onboard FW port not a usb. The usb part gets connected to an onboard usb port.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

By chance are you trying to connect firewire while usb is connected?

7. Cuillin

Cuillin Thread Starter

The Computer I am using is an Advent 7006, 1.8 MHz running Windows XP Home with up-to-date service packs. The Firewire is onboard. The Firewire is not connected to a USB port (I understand this is not possible) and the Firewire is not connected at the same time as the USB cable.

8. Cuillin

Cuillin Thread Starter

The computer is an Advent 7006 Laptop with a 1.8 MHz Processor, running Windows XP Home with the most up-to-date Service Pack and the Firewire is on-board. The Firewire is not connected to a USB Port - this is not possibleI am told! Also I am not connecting the Firewire while the USB is connected.

9. DaChew

DaChew

about the only thing left would be to check with another cable and/or another devise

or check the cable and drive on another computer

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752410

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice