1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firewire sub-card installation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by verino, Dec 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. verino

verino Thread Starter

Hello-
    I just installed a PCMCIA/IEEE 1394 sub-card from a Thinkpad A31P into my non-firewire equipped A31. Can anyone tell me how to get Windows XP to recognize it? The card slots are working fine, but the firewire port doesn't work.

Thanks

2. bigbear

bigbear

3. verino

verino Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. Sorry to seem dense, but I couldn't find any reference to IEEE 1394 or firewire at that site. I tried the 'Thinkvantage System Update' option, but it didn't find the port either. There are no drivers listed that only apply to A30P or A31P, which are the only models that come with firewire. It's still not listed in device manager.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, you don't need any drivers for standard Firewire devices. What shows up in Device Manager when you plug the card in?

5. verino

verino Thread Starter

It's an internal card which isn't showing up in device manager. I have an external firewire/usb2.0 card that's installed in one of my pcmcia slots which does show up though. Here's a screenshot of my device manager: http://www.mldonline.net/DeviceManager.jpg.

6. JohnWill

If the internal card doesn't show up, you have a hardware issue. However, I see an IEE-1394 host controller, where did that come from? If that's an external, you need to be showing us what you get with it removed.

Since this is a laptop, you may have motherboard drivers that would affect the ability to use the Firewire, I mis-spoke. A desktop with a PCI card needs no drivers.

7. verino

verino Thread Starter

8. JohnWill

OK, there is an issue either with the slot you plugged it into, or the card. Have you tried a different slot? If so, I'd send it back.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/524216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice