1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firmware update for Linksys WRT54GL

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Photopilot, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Photopilot

Photopilot Thread Starter

This is a follow up in a way. I had asked about the N-routers and how to get good reception in a large house. Based on the responses and reviews of this router Linksys WRT54GL I chose this one router to do the trick with the option of installing another one upstairs to increase coverage if needed. The price of 2 of these was cheaper than one N router or a router and repeater.

The Lisksys software is pretty lame. I was able to get my computer hooked up fairly easily but my roommate could not get online, which is more important as I am on the road all the time and he is stuck at home. I reset the router before I left so hopefully he can get himself hooked up before I get home in 2 days.

The coverage seems great. I get very good or excellent in all corners of the house. I see things about installing a second party firmware to improve it further. Any suggestions about which firmware, and details about how to update and use this firmware?

Thanks

2. invalidusername

invalidusername

You need to find out why your roomate can not connect. Is it becasue of bad coverage? But, you said the coverage is great. If it is a secure network and your roomate is using the correct password/key, and if the coverage is great, then some setting issue must be dealt with in the roomate's computer.

Why do you need third party firmware for your router? That may not solve your roomate's problem, becasue as I said, it could be in roomate's computer. I have heard using third party firmware on Linksys gives much more features. One of them is to increase the power out of the router. But, again, all those feature may not help you with the problme that your have.

First do this on your computer, then on roomate's:

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

{credit johnw}

3. Photopilot

Photopilot Thread Starter

I wanted to update the firmware because I read where a lot of people are saying it has made their router perform much better. Since I am not sure what I have never messed with the firmware settings or router settings I may not be able to get much more out of it.

I will run the IPCONFIG when I get home tomorrow. One possible issue is I put in a custom Password instead of letting the computer choose a hexadecimal(?) one. Then I pushed the magic button on the router and let it set itself up. I think if I did a manual setup I would know what is accuring behind the scenes.

When I type the custom password into my computer I can get online, but not on his. However when I put in the IP address into my browser I can not get into the routers settings I get an error message, but he gets into some screen when he does the same, not sure which as I was not watching his attempts.

I'll post the results tomorrow.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593865

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice