1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Firmware update for router with out internet connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Skyslash, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skyslash

Skyslash Thread Starter

I have a netgear r6300 router and just had a power outage. This supposedly corrupted the firmware on my router by interrupting the usual power cycle. I have been following a tutorial on the support site and have managed to get a new copy of the required firmware by downloading it onto a flash drive at the local library. I have been following this tutorial; Step 1: Connect your router to a computer by plugging one end of an Ethernet Cable into any of the four LAN ports on the back of your router.

Step 2: Configure the computer with a static IP address of 192.168.1.2 and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

From the Start button, select Control Panel > Network Connections.
    Right click Local Area Connection and select Properties.
    Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties.
    In the IP Configuration page, select the Use the following IP address check box and enter the IP address and subnet mask above.
    Linux and Mac: Use Linux and Mac instructions to set the computer with static IP.
    Step 3: Open a command window if you are using Windows PC. For Linux/Mac users, use a TFTP client.

On Windows 7: From the Start button, go to the Search box, type cmd and press Enter.
    On Windows XP: From Start > Run, type cmd and press Enter.
    Step 4: Find and install your firmware.

Use the cd command to navigate to the directory/folder containing the router firmware.
    Run the command tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put firmware_filename, where firmware_filename is the actual name of the firmware file.
    Linux or Mac: Download and run TFTP client available for your operating system.

Step 5: Wait several minutes for the router to save the new firmware, then reboot the router. The power LED will glow a steady green once the firmware is successfully installed.

Step 6: Reset the computer to acquire a dynamic IP by following the directions in step 2a-c and selecting the Obtain an IP address automatically option instead. I have managed to get to step four but once it try to install the firmware to the router i get this error "this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the default programs control panel."
    Just wondering if anyone knows a program or way to prevent this error?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!