1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

firmware updates trouble

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by inuyasha320, Jul 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. inuyasha320

inuyasha320 Thread Starter

i have a cd burner that is having a lot of problems and i need a firmware update. (i checked and could not find one at the locations that i know of)

so heres the problem: it can burn on cd-rws, but has trouble reading them.
    when i burn a cd-rw, then i load the cd up, the hard drive activity light will stay silig red for at least a minute before it even knows whats on the cd

and it is a new drive. had it for almost a month now.
    and it i erase the cd and try to reuse it, i get a buffer underrun the second it starts burning.

and the cd is only readable in the cd burner no matter what i do, i tried all 15 burn settings
    and went through quite a few cd-rws
    i think i may need a firmware update

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. accat13

accat13

3. inuyasha320

thats the problem, it has no site.

it is like a store brand

4. inuyasha320

thanks, hope the update works

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That appears to be an OptiWrite drive: http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=6&manufactor=60

But it may not be resolved by firmware. Have you tried using the drive on its own IDE cable? No other drive on the same cable? You may even want to try other burning software like Nero(free trial) or DeepBurner(www.deepburner.com - free). If you do try other software then you will need to uninstall the other CD burning software to get it out of the picture - it even appears the CD burning software has created a virtual CD drive.

If all else fails return the drive for a different brand - that what warranties are for.

6. inuyasha320

i have nero ultra edition, and winoncd 5 power edition.

i think it is my cd-rw cd's that may be bad,

because some of them, i cant erase. it will say it blanked ok but when i look at the cd, theres still data on it. (and i used full erase)

7. inuyasha320

yep, it is the cd

never buying memorex again.

the center coating doesnt respond to the laser heat.

i opened a old cd burner,(max write speed 4X)

and burned stuff on to it,

i burned 690MB on to the cd but only 317MB went on it.

crapy cd's

i took a pic
    [​IMG]

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well, I could have told you that. Memorex CD-RW's should be taken off the market as they are the worst I've ever come across. Personally after too many bad experiences with all CD-RW's I just use CD-R's and Multisession compilations. Much cheaper and 100% more reliable and compatible.

9. inuyasha320

thanks all.

(anyway, i only wanted cd-rws to burn vcd's then erase them after watching a video)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/379390

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice