1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

firmware upgrade

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by shairon, Jul 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shairon

shairon Thread Starter

i have a mitsimi cr-48xate writer and have been having problems reading and writing cds. i heard that it needs to have the firmware upgraded but i haven't been able to find a site to do this. can anyone help me? :confused: thanks in advance.

2. Sponsor

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

4. shairon

shairon Thread Starter

what do you mean by a sticker? i've never heard of that before.

5. shairon

shairon Thread Starter

one more thing.... i went to this site and checked it out. i didn't see anything for cr-48xate. could you be a little more specific where i can find it on the page?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

There should be a sticker/label right on the drive, usually on the top.

7. shairon

shairon Thread Starter

sorry. guess i'm not as pc savvy as i thought i was. how do u go about doing that? i tried going into the following...

control panel
    system device manager
    hardware
    device manager
    cd properties

in the driver details it shows the following...
    file version 5.1.2600.2180(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

i didn't see what you meant by a sticker. is there something that says firmware? how exactly do i find that? please spell it out in steps for me if you can. thanks

8. vesselle

vesselle

a sticker is a label on the front of your CD/DVD drive, identifying the maker and model. but if you don't have one, then get it from the drive properties.

start button
    r/click
    explore
    (optional, for simplicity's sake - click your main drive letters (C:, D:, X: ) for example, so it won't distract you with all the stuff you have installed on them.
    navigate down to your cd-drive
    (mine are E:, F: and G: )
    whichever one is in question, put your cursor on it
    r/click the drive in question and choose properties
    choose the "hardware" tab
    find the corresponding drive (DVD, CD, CDR, CDRW, whichever) and highlight it
    click the "properties" button in the lower right
    choose the "drivers" tab

all the info you could possibly want is there.
    for instance, you're using a windows driver for that drive.
    firmware tends to be better, as it's designed especially for your make and model.
    most of the dvd/cd drives i've used come with programs and/or links to the manufacturer for updating their firmware.

maybe look thru your disks to see if your drive came with an "install" disk, where you could find firmware (aka drivers) specific to your drive.

V***V

PS:
    fyi, firmware is a driver made for a specific hardware device by the manufacturer of said drive.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

A sticker or label is a piece of paper affixed to the physical drive. You would have to open up the computer and take out the drive to see it.

On another note you should download InfoTool: http://www.cdspeed2000.com/
    It can tell you the drive model, drive capabilities, and firmware revision. But note that it only reports what the drive reports, so if the drive reports the wrong info then thats what you'll see.

10. shairon

shairon Thread Starter

that sticker. duh. i didn't get a sticker with my cpu but i checked the disc itself. it does have an firmware upgrade. every link i tried on that site didn't help. here's the site it gave me. http://www.mitsumi.com/media/drivers.html

i even tried their diagnostic program but there's nothing for win xp.

anymore ideas? i really appreciate all your help so far. thanks.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try running the infotool that Triple6 linked above. See what it says about your model. Is your firmware version presently 1f?

12. shairon

shairon Thread Starter

oops. i missed that. i just started to do that now and the download site said that i shouldn't need it if i already had nero. i did the drive speed test and it shows the the following ...

read speed is 1x176 kb/s (to be honest i'm not sure what this means - kilobites mabye??) it also shows that it's 40x (again not sure what this means)

spin down time is 8 minutes.

that's all the info i was able to gather.

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

The download is probably newer and better than the one installed with Nero. But look in your Nero menus in the Start menu and see if you see the Nero tools and then the Nero Infotool. It tells a great deal about the drive. What we would like to know is if it gives the same model number and/or alternative model numbers.

Specifically, we would like to know if your 48XATE is really an 480ATE that is misreporting its model.

14. shairon

shairon Thread Starter

i finally figured out what to do. here's the info the test gave me. i'll just give it all to you rather than weed through it myself. don't want to miss anything you may need. hope it helps you figure out what i need to do. thanks again

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    General information
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Operating system : Windows NT V5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
    ASPI manager : ahead software gmbh

im stoeckmaedle 6

76307 karlsbad, germany

Fax: ++49-7248-911-888

e-mail: [email protected] V2.0.1.28

Driver : atapi.sys
    Description : IDE/ATAPI Port Driver
    Company : Microsoft Corporation
    Version : 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

Drive information
    Host adapter : 1
    Device ID : 0
    Vendor : MITSUMI
    Product : CR-48XATE
    Firmware version : 1.0C

Buffer size : 16384 KB
    Maximum read speed : 7056 KB/sec (40 X)
    Read CD-R : yes
    Read CD-RW : yes
    Read CDDA : yes
    CDDA accurate : yes
    Read R-W : yes
    R-W packed : no
    C2 pointers : no
    Speed settings : 2 X

Read RAW mode : unknown

Disc information
    No disc inserted

Supported commands
    Mode Sense 6
    ok
    Mode Sense 10
    ok
    Seek6
    Command not supported
    Seek10
    No disc inserted
    Read CD
    No disc inserted
    Read10
    No disc inserted
    Read12
    No disc inserted
    Read CDDA
    Command not supported
    Set CD Speed
    ok

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. I'm pretty sure that I know what upgrade to use, but I'd like one more test. Download this CD-RW diagnostic from Mitsumi:

ftp://ftp.mitsumi.com/pub/drivers/cdr147.exe

Click the exe file and extract its contents. You may be able to run it just by clicking the program it contains, though you may need to enter MS-DOS mode to run it. See what it tells you about the drive. You can perform all diagnostic tests by pressing F1 while running the program.

16. shairon

shairon Thread Starter

i have tried to do this but it won't allow me to go onto the download page. i usually use foxfire but i tried it in ie and it still wouldn't allow me to get it.

next step??? :eek:

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/386241