firmware version

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

vanmol

Hi------ I can tell what driver I have for my Plextor cd rom but how do I find out which firmware version is installed? Plextor has several new versions but I don't know where to start. Thanks Frank

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi Frank, any particular reason you want to mess around with firmware updates? I've seen some ruin the drive.

Go into Device Manager, click on DVD/CD-ROM Drives, The brand and model number should be listed. Double click to open Properties. Then go to the manufacturers website and see what is available. As Candy said, if you're not having problems it's best to leave well, enough alone.

vanmol

Thanks for the input guys. I am not having trouble that I know of but according to the new firmware versions the Mfg claims it corrects known problems. I guess your saying that I'ts not wise to trust Plextor to supply fixes that work. This is sorta like damned if you do and damned if you don't.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
But again, if you aren't having any of the 'known problems' it's working for you :) With the almost free CDRW's out on the market now, it's probably in their best interest to try to break a few :eek:

J/K but, please, leave well enough alone ;)

And don't get us wrong, it's not just Plexor, anytime you mess with firmware, there is a calculated risk.

It's not Plextor, it's rule of thumb with ALL computer related components. If things are working okay, leave them alone!

vanmol

Thanks again guys-----I'll gladly take your advice to da bank!

I don't know........There' a particular person in another thread that "thinks" the MS "workaround" for running more than 512MB memory on Win 98 is the salvation for all who want to do it. We know from experience and dealing with MS R&D that it consistently causes instabilities and errors continously. Look how many patches MS puts out that you WISH you HADN'T put on your system until after it's too late. Oh well, back to the gleeful, blissfulness of the songs: Microsoft You're Giving Me the Blues & Keep Those Blue Guys Away From My Store!

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Lol, I hear you, built hubbie a computer and purchased 1 gig of DDR ram for him (2 chips) thinking he'd like to upgrade to XP Pro. Won't change from 98, so I pulled those 2 chips pronto, sitting on my desk waiting for my new motherboard to arrive :D He's got 512 SDRAM now :D

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....................Ever think of getting divorced?????????????????????? Getting a computer built FOR you instead of vice-versa, a whole GIG of RAM not just 512MB, new mobos..........I'm havin' a dream...................

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts