1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

First Boot Problems.....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scottastroph, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scottastroph

scottastroph Thread Starter

Hello, I just purchased a new n2u400-a motherboard. I hooked up all the cables, put in some new ram and when it booted up it said cmos checksum error - defaults loaded. So after that it asked me if I wanted to start windows normally or safe mode. Either one I choose it tries to do something and a blue screen pops up really fast and goes away and the system reboots. Any ideas what the problem could be? I have kingston ddr 512mb 3200 ram (400mhz), and a AMD sempron 2800+ cpu. Thank you in advance for any input you may be able to give me.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. I'm assuming you already had an operating system on the hard drive that you are trying to boot to? XP or XP Home? If so, those operating systems don't take too kindly to a complete motherboard change. You might have to try a repair installation, worst case scenario, a new install.

3. scottastroph

yes i have xp pro. it looks like its gonna be a long night. thank you.

4. ~Candy~

Well............

Do you have anything important backed up, just in case of a mishap? I've done repair installs, I've done what I thought was an overinstall, you will be warned that information MAY be lost. I have found my documents to be intact once or twice, another time, they were lost in Microsoft Land. Usually I have nothing that important and I do test installs just for fun :D

You can start off with a repair install and see if you get lucky.

Per chance, can the drive be put back into the system it came out of?

5. scottastroph

i think im going to have to put back the old motherboard and back everything up and then try. thanks for your help.

6. ~Candy~

Probably a wise decision ;)

If you have another computer, you might be able to slave that drive to it and back up documents. Probably depends on what you need to back up.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you want to do a mb swap without doing a clean install, here is what I do. During this process DO NOT reboot; tell it later.

1 Uninstall any software that is dependent on the old board such as onboard sound driver, onboard nic, monitoring software, etc.

2 Uninstall any software you do not want or need. Do a complete disk cleanup.

3 Most important [if you want it to boot] change to a standard ide controller / driver. This is done manually in device manager.

4 While in device manager, remove anything that is dependent on the old board such as floppy controller, usb controller, ect. It is no big deal if you miss one here. The important thing is to change to a standard ide controller.

5 Disable [not uninstall] any AV software.

6 Make a backup of anything important.

7 Now shutdown and do the swap.

Boot with your xp cd and do a repair install. All of your data and installed apps should be there. You will need to reapply all updates, sp2, etc.

Note I have done this many times; even going from a SiS chipset to an Intel chipset. It does not get any more different than that.

8. scottastroph

Ok I finally got everything backed up and reinstalled. Thank you for all your help. A couple of times during installation of programs my computer rebooted before the program was even close to being installed. Any idea what would cause that? Maybe a cheap power supply? I bought a case for 30.00 that came with the power supply and I never had any problems with the old configuration but it didnt have 2 connections to the motherboard from the power supply either. I appreciate any input you may be able to give me.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    $30 dollar cases are great...don't really know for what but I'm sure they are...

What is the powersupply? Brand and Wattage?

Also test your RAM and check your temps.

RAM testor: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Temperature Monitor: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Also make sure the BIOS is configured corectly - ie correct RAM and CPU speed, DMA is enabled, etc.

10. ~Candy~

Hey! I have a $30 case after rebates :p

It came with a 420 watt power supply and I'm quite happy with it...........so far.......

What do you mean by "it didn't have two connections to the motherboard"?

11. scottastroph

my old motherboard had the rectangle connection to the motherbard. the new one has that plus the square one (i think its 4 pin).

12. ~Candy~

Okay....gotcha. I was thinking the old AT power supplies as opposed to the ATX supplies.

You have the little one plugged in to the motherboard as well?

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Modern systems put a strain on the 12V rail. I would enter the bios and see what your voltages are. It should be under something like health or freqs and volts, etc; you may have to look around a little. Check to see if any are fluctuating. A 5V rail that is running a constant 4.96 is ok. If it goes from say 4.8 to 5.1, then you may have found your problem.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272576

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice