1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

first gaming PC built for gaming in 3D at 1080p at 120HZ......

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Qx1, Nov 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Qx1

Qx1 Thread Starter

hello people...
    im building a gaming PC and it is my first built.
    Till now i had been playing on low end laptop(back in times of NFS underground n all) then i got XPS 15 L502x and xbox 360-S but they all have their limitations and the laptops cost a lot and dont withstand the threshold of the games of current time.It all becomes very confined and limited.
    So i have decided to go for an ALL GAMING ONLY! PC built, and im going to do it myself (really excited about the complete project)
    Now ill be playing games in 3D (ie on a 3D monitor) but im not a very big fan of the 4k or UHD resolutions and will be playing at 1920x1080p but at 120/144 HZ instead of 60hz monitor
    so keeping all that in mind and with my research over the internet for couple of months i have decided what im buying and i need you guys to help me out finding any problem with this configuration

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7pV4GX
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7pV4GX/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120M 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($56.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Corsair Force LS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card ($578.99 @ Directron)
    Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1462.40

now will all things work fine with eachother? i dont want something to mismatch with the other.
    Also if i can get a motherboard cheaper then this one which supports 1 click Overclocking (like OC gene in this case) and USB+Audio headers for front panel of the case....I would like to save some money
    And im really very confused about the graphic card, is going for 980 a good move? or should i stick to 970 only? Remember ill be playing in 3D at 120HZ minimum at 1080p

any more suggestions you give me will be rewarded with 10 kisses of your loved ones today :) :p lol

2. Ope5

Ope5

It's not really a problem, but I'd suggest a not so high-end GPU if you're going with geforce, as their new video cards tend to be rebranded old technologies and Nvidia started making god awful drivers for these lately.
    It depends on what your expectations are though, just saying.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Also do not use a low end CX Power Supply. Use one of HX, TX, or AX power supplies by Corsair. THey cost more but are much better quality and have a 5 year warranty.

4. Qx1

Qx1 Thread Starter

thanks guys for the suggestions...ill look up into those things
    plus i was wondering about the motherboard, can i get similar feature motherboard ? if yes which one
    still looking for more suggestions though...

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just a few thoughts on your build;

1 As dusty stated, do not use a cx pw supply. Corsair does not mfg their own units. The high end ones are mfg by seasonic [maker of very high end stuff] The low end ones ie cx, etc are mfg by CTW [maker of oem type units] When you install a corsair cx, you have the equivalent of a dell or hp pw supply.

2 For storage, go with a WD black series drive rather than the one you selected. The black series drives have dual motor supports and dual processors; in short a much better design. Just look at the warranties of each one. 2yr for your drive and 5yr for a WD black.

3 Motherboard. I am not a fan of msi boards. MSI is a low to mid-range mfg. Go with either a gigiabyte or asus mb.

4. Just my opinion however liquid cooling is a leak waiting to happen. Unless you intend to really hard core overclock, go with a coolermaster 212 cooler. I use these on both amd and intel systems; amd fx4350 overclocked to 4.8gig and an intel 2500k overclocked to 4.4gig. Both of these run in the low 30s and up to 55C or so when running prime95.

6. Qx1

Qx1 Thread Starter

thanks for the information...
    EVGA 120-G1-0750-XR
    EVGA 220-G2-0750-XR
    Corsair HX750
    which one of these power supply should i replace my one with?

and im in india (will be getting my stuff from US) and temperatures here go upto ~50C in summers thats why i went for the liquid cooler.

for the motherboard i though quality of MSI is better and also i am getting OC gene like feature which helps me with overclocking at a single push of button. Plus i like the color combinations and built quality.
    I have heared only MSI and ASUS names never heard of gigabyte till i started my research over the internet lol...plus i was going with MSI gpu so i thought it will have some little benifit if motherboard id also from MSI

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would go with the corsair hx. EVGA does not mfg their own pw supplies I think they are mfg by FSP; if the evga comes with the 5yr warranty, it is decent. If it comes with less than that, I would not purchase it. FSP makes a large number of pw supplies and their units with the 5yr warranty are very good; others not so much.
    Any overclock should be done manually in the bios/uefi then tested for stability using prime95, IBT or other stress testing program. "Auto" overclocking is [IMO] less than worthless.

8. Qx1

Qx1 Thread Starter

thanks for the inputs...
    going for Corsair HX750 PSU
    still undecided on what mobo :(
    actually i really liked the MSI ones their look and features, I heard that recently they have made many improvements specially in gaming section motherboards as they are the ones which undergo main stress...
    will also be going for the gtx 970 instead of 980

so my current build stands here...
    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XrVCt6
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XrVCt6/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120M 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($77.98 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Corsair Force LS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($74.98 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($354.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($239.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $1357.37

and still deciding on the case (mostly on availability)
    NZXT S340
    NZXT Phantom 410 and still looking for a few more...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1138331

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice