First Go at Linux- Help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Scarface23

My friend was getting rid of his old gateway windows 98 machine, i thought id take it to try out linux for the first time. Id like to know what i need to do to get windows off the machine, or if i can just write the linux distro over it? and also id like to know what distro i should go w/... id like something somewhat easy but still somewhat advanced, because id like to learn more about linux... im looking at ubuntu, are there any you would suggest?

The Linux installer should provide the option to write over Windows.
I'd go with Mandriva for your first time.

Most any Linux installer will allow you to format your hard disk. Ubuntu's a great distro, from what I hear. You can really learn from any distro you want, the choice is really up to you. Check out www.distrowatch.com if you haven't already. Also, might I reccomend Slackware? ;)

I recommend Fedora Core 4 for a first time user, very simple (well Fedora Core 3 was)

And I would recommend removing Windows if the specs are crummy unless it is a good comp......(even though I hate to delete history like that lol)

I would have to say mandriva the first time, but I say that down the road you have to take a look at slackware.

I put Simply Mepis 3.3.1 on my old GateWay 98 machine and everything was detected (sound) and installed perfectly first time out. SuSe, Ubuntu, PCBSD and Mandrake wouldn't detect and install everything...

I personally prefer SUSE as it has YAST (Essentially the same as windows control panel).

Used Fedora Core 1 for my first distro and found SUSE to be alot easier than the other RPM based distros.

Havent tried Ubuntu i must say but i hear good things

Ubuntu is very nice. For the most part, it JUST WORKS. I was truly amazed. Even smbclient and cups was painless to get going. Also, even though stuff like dvd support and MP3 is not provided in the default install (due to legal issues I imagine), there is a very nice step-by-step how-to for all the restricted formats on their wiki page. Other then the gaming aspect, Ubuntu provides for a remarkably painless escape from windows. It is by far, the best linux desktop distro I have tried.

I, myseld prefer Debian! The only thing is, you should have a broadband connection to install!

My linux machine died a while ago, so I don't have it anymore!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online