1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

First open box intermittently

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by livefortoday6491, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. livefortoday6491

livefortoday6491 Thread Starter

The "first open box" has started again but only occasionally. See attachment. Can anyone help please?

Attached Files:

2. tompatrick

tompatrick Banned

seems that some corruption in the caches file

/Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices-0140.csstore
    /Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices-0140501.csstore

Delete the corrupt file(s) and restart the system. The error should rectify.

3. Headrush

Headrush

A couple points:

1) On OS X < 10.6 you can delete those files. (The # in the filename is the user account ID, so it will likely be different on other people's machines)

2) For OS X > 10.5 you rebuild the launch services database using:
    or
    Whether this fixes it or not (I forget ultimate result from previous thread), it appears there is a process, application, or some action that you do which is continually causing this problem to keep reoccurring.

P.S. When deleting or rebuilding this cache, each app will bring up the first open warning again. (Should not AFTER that)

livefortoday6491, does this happen for random applications or is it always a specific few?

4. livefortoday6491

Thanks for the reply but where do I find LaunchServices. I got as far as /Library/Caches/ there are com.apple but no LaunchServices. I am running OS X 10.8.2. I think it happens for a specific few like Sopcast, OpenOffice and Firefox as far as I can remember.

5. livefortoday6491

I got as far as /Library/Caches/ there are com.apple but no LaunchServices. I am running OS X 10.8.2.

6. Headrush

Headrush

Those don't exist anymore in OS X 10.8.2, the lines I posted above accomplish the same thing.

7. livefortoday6491

Thanks for the info but I am not sure how to use them? Do I paste the lines into Terminal or what? How do I find them if that is the right thing to do.

8. Headrush

Headrush

Yes you paste that command into /Applications/Utilities/Terminal

I swear we did this before, but I can't find the old thread.

Was this dialog while opening OpenOffice again or a different application?

9. livefortoday6491

It was when opening OpenOffice but Firefox as well also Sopcast. I may have solved the problem. I did what you said about pasting in the strings into Terminal but although it has stopped I don't think what I did in Terminal cured it. I deleted the gmail account from the Mac leaving it accessible via Firefox web mail. I also removed the alias icon of the file created by OpenOffice from the Dock. I have the app icon only in the Dock. I will wait a bit longer to see if it is permanently cured. Thanks for the help so far.

10. livefortoday6491

It has stopped happening since I removed the alias icon from the dock but it used open the file without the box appearing, so the problem still exists.

11. Headrush

Headrush

I didn't understand this at all.

After running the above commands, you will get the "first time opening" dialog for many of your applications.
    Once you accept, you shouldn't be getting the dialog that application anymore. (It will happen with each application)

If the problem continues, would it be possible to do a short screen recording using Quicktime Player and posting the video?
    (Dropbox, youtube, whatever you might have)

It's easy to use: Quicktime Player -> File menu -> New Screen Recording -> Hit record button

12. livefortoday6491

I may have solved the problem. I went to Preferences > Users & Group and clicked the login tab and deleted the entry for OpenOffice. After a couple of restarts everything seemed ok so I recreated the OO file alias by dragging the file icon to the dock and so far everything seems normal but I will give it a bit longer to be sure. If it occurs again I will do a screen video for you.

13. Headrush

Headrush

I hope this works but this doesn't really seem logical.

If OpenOffice was set to auto launch on every login, when you clicked the aliases you made in the Dock, OpenOffice should be running already so you wouldn't get a "first time opening" dialog.

I'd rather make sure this is fixed because it's harder to come back to the problem and remember everything, so if you have time, as a test, can you add OpenOffice back to login items and re-login and see if the problem returns. That should definitively tell us if it was indeed the issue.

14. livefortoday6491

I did as you asked and all it did was to open OpenOffice on boot up as it should. I assume that one of the things you asked me to do in Terminal has worked. I just remembered in the log in tab I also deleted two start up items for Google Direct and Crossover Helper, both of which I have been deleted.

15. livefortoday6491

Thanks everything seems okay now.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085326

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice