1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

First PC assembly, CPU cooler

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KenjiSamato, Apr 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KenjiSamato

KenjiSamato Thread Starter

Hi there,

My rig: i7 9700k, Aorus pro Z390, Trident Z RGB 16 GB, Coolermaster MB511 RGB case with 5 fans. Im asking for help. I made my first pc assembly. And i'm not sure if the thermal paste and settings are ok. Here is a picture about the thermal paste quantity. https://m.imgur.com/a/PSawBwW
    Is it ok? My max temperature under Aida64 stress test in stock (4,6 Ghz) speed is 70 celsius degree with a Dark rock pro 4 cooler. Under battlefield 5 with 60% usage is 60 celsius.
    Thank you in advance!

Have a nice day!

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

100C is max temp at CPU core
    https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...9700k-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-90-ghz.html
    Your image shows too much paste
    The purpose of paste is to fill the minute - invisible to the human eye - imperfections in the metal surface of the CPU and cooler joints

From your cooler manual which I believe the cooler came with the thermal paste
    upload_2019-4-6_21-41-1.png

First remove the protective foil from the underside of the cooler.

Spread the thermal paste (17) on the surface of the CPU.
    The amount supplied is sufficient for one or two applications.

You have as I said too much applied and you want a thinner spread across the whole surface, not thick enough to squeeze out when you tighten down the cooler

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You need maybe 1/3 of the amount you currently have on the processor. What I do is put a very small amount in the center of the cpu. Place your finger inside a plastic bag; spread the compound with your finger. You should be able to basically "See" through the compound. After 1~2 heat up/cool down cycles, the compound will fill the peaks and valleys of the two mating surfaces.
    There is more to cooling than simply installing the heatsink fan. You do need to make sure you have good airflow in the case, proper orientation of fans ie intake fan in the bottom front and the exhaust in the upper rear of the case. Cables, wires, etc should be router so as to facilitate airflow ie the inside should NOT look like a rat's nest.

Air coolers are fine for most applications. If you intend on hard overclocking, you are going to have to go with liquid cooling.

4. KenjiSamato

Yeah, the fans orientation is good. There is not much cable in frontof the fans. https://m.imgur.com/a/xxXe8WG
    So what am i gonna have to do? Take down the cooler and somehow pick off some paste and take back the cooler? There were just the exact amount of paste I had got, it run out. Or I have a 5 year old cooler master paste. I have to stripping the paste and apply for a this "new" one?

5. Macboatmaster

I think you mean this was the amount of paste in the tube and it all ran out

I do appreciate English is not your first language, but that is my guess at what you mean
    As I said there is too much , all you are doing is applying enough to fill the minute surface imperfections, that cannot even be seen by the human eye, and as my colleague confirmed

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You never use the full amount in a tube. If you want the system to run cool [and at the temps it was designed to run] you need to pull the cooler. Clean all parts with 99% or 91% alcohol. Do not use the 60~70% stuff you find in the supermarket. Once all parts are clean and dry, apply new compound IAW [in accordance with] the compound mfg's instructions.

Up to you IF you want to do the job correctly.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do remember too much thermal compound is as bad as no compound. The excess acts as an insulator precluding the transfer of heat energy.

8. KenjiSamato

Yeah, you are right. I'm hungarian and yeah, this was the amount of paste in the tube, exactly. Thanks fir the help.

9. Macboatmaster

It is actually very poorly worded in the manual for the cooler
    https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/1378
    It actually has the image I attached to my post an d then says
    It gives no advice as to how much and for the inexperienced builder, the guidance is rather poor
    SO please do not feel you have done something silly.

As my colleague says you really need to clean it all off.
    and then do not touch the surface with your finger
    A credit card or similar is ideal for spreading the new paste on the surface

This will help
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.html#
    HOWEVER you cannot use the line method explained in the link as the cooler cannot be twisted to spread the line therefore you need to spread it out yourself
    Make sure there is no thickened spread beyond the edge of the mounting surface, that may then squeeze out

Also with that cooler do MAKE SURE you follow carefully the mounting instructions and pay careful attention to the fitting of the mounting bridge and the tightening of the heatpipe caps.

10. KenjiSamato

Im very thankful for your detailed help! Ive got one question. If these temperatures (70 celsius in aida) are not good, what would be ok for this CPU?

11. Macboatmaster

12. KenjiSamato

I took my PC to a professional PC service, and asked them to reapply the thermal compound. I bought a Thermal Griizzly Kryonaut. They did it and my temperatures are the same, but I dunno how much thermal paste applied. Any suggestions? Aida64 stress test shows me max 80 celsius on the cores. Should I tried once more reapply the paste? :S There are 10 celsius degree fluctuations in a short time (seconds) in thermals, is it okay?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  13. KenjiSamato

I have three intake fans and two blowouts on the back-top. I reached 100 Celsius degree under prime95 test.

14. Macboatmaster

Re he taking of the computer to a professional PC Service and now asking should you re-apply the paste MUST raise the question - do you have any reason to think they did not apply it correctly

IMHO the advice you received here, both from the link I sent on post 9 and my description of how to apply it in my posts, and the posts of my colleague, would I thought be adequate for you to do the job.
    However I am not saying you were wrong taking it to the PC Service but it seems a bit hasty to now think of re-doing the paste yourself
    As I said on post 2 and indeed on the instructions with the Thermal Grizzly you bought
    Taken from here
    https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/images/downloads/TG-ApplicationShortGuide.pdf

Also as previously mentioned on post 2 and the link provided
    100C is max at core
    TJUNCTION
    Junction Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor die.

If it really was running at 100C in normal gaming then the CPU will either close some cores in an attempt to reduce temps or shut down

PRIME95 temps are not always correct and indeed depending on the test they stress the CPU far more than you would.

Rather than risk the CPU not that the temps would induce immediate failure, but IF the 100 was correct it would certainly shorten the life of the CPU, I would run the system with a case thermometer
    Not necessarily the one here but similar
    https://www.amazon.com/KETOTEK-Thermometer-Temperature-Waterproof-Fahrenheit/dp/B01DVSIYN2

HOWEVER PLEASE NOTE I thought your motherboard had two thermistor cables with connections top right of board to right of ram.
    AND according to the manual you can set warnings

Temperature Warning Control
    Sets the warning threshold for temperature. When temperature exceeds the threshold, BIOS will emit warning sound. Options are: Disabled (default), 60oC/140oF, 70oC/158oF, 80oC/176oF, 90oC/194oF.

and again according to the manual in conjunction with that you can set fans and therefore monitor temps in use, which I consider will be far more accurate than PRIME or any other stress temps, as those temps on the thermistors are in real use conditions not a stress use

Finally I would not recommend the frequent use of PRIME or other stress tests

As regards the professional application of the Grizzly
    https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/faqs
    All I can say is - what size did you buy and looking at the link - is there any left? in the tube or syringe however it came.

15. KenjiSamato

Its a 1 gram syringe. And yeah, there is left.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225489

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice