First pc build need help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Harlfrayed

Specs

Z270 A Pro trubo m.2 mother board
I7-7700k
2x 8gb vengeance LPX DDR4 3000Mhz
Cs550 corsair power pack
Evga GeForce ACX3.0 GTX1080
Be quiet dark rock 3 190w TDP

So i built my first pc i followed the instruction (or so i believe) connected it all up and attempted to power it... It didnt turn on via the power button instead i pressed the reset button on my cooler master lite 5 case which turned it on.

All seemed well the gpu powered up fans powered up mother board lit up everything seemed fine... However, one of my led debug came up but before i can check to see what it was in the manual the system shut of and it made the electric sizzle noise. Obviously i panicked... But after it did this it attempted to turn itself back on but i decided to turn it off at the power supply switch and check the parts.

Theres is no visable damage from discoloration to damaged capcitors etc to any part of the mother board or cpu. What i did notice is that my thermal paste was almost on the edge of the cpu so i was wondering if my paste could have been the issue...

Another issue it could be is the connector to my gpu i was give the y adaptor which has 2x 6+2pin on one end and an 8 pin on the other end which i have used to plug into the psu...

Im at a loss and i need help i can provide pictures etc if needed just help and support would be appreciated!

managed

Allan
Can you remember which LED was on and tell us what the manual says about it ?

Try removing the Graphics card and using the onboard graphics connection to the Monitor.
Does it boot up with a display now ?

Harlfrayed

Hey man thanks for your reply i really appreciate it!!!!

Well to answer your question it was either the ram error or gpu... So i have taken out the gpu and placed the ram in the 2nd and 4th slot... Which i believe was the reason for flagging up on the usb.

Although i have doubts about my gpu wire as the only wire i have is the x2 6 +2 pin to x1 8pin adaptor, so the 8 pin goes into the psu... But my gpu only needs x1 6+2 pin so Im unsure what to do with the other 6+2 pin?

Unfortunately i believe the issue is my power supply as i have just attempted to try your steps but when i switched the master switch at the back of the power pack on all i could see and hear is electricity. So unless ive wired my psu wrong (which i dont think i have as i followed the steps for installation... I may have a defective unit possibly?

managed

Allan
Please read the Troubleshooting Guide for "Problem Builds" by crjdriver.
Scroll down to the 'You assembled the system, and it will not post' section and follow the steps :-
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/troubleshooting-guide-for-problem-builds.580000/

If it still doesn't power up try to borrow another Power Supply Unit (PSU) and see if it powers on with that one. If it does then your new PSU is damaged, try to RMA it for a refund or replacement.

crjdriver

As referenced above, read and follow the guide. If you follow ALL of the steps, you will find the cause of your problem.
Next
What i did notice is that my thermal paste was almost on the edge of the cpu so i was wondering if my paste could have been the issue...
If you used too much thermal compound, it can cause problems. Some thermal compound is conductive so if it oozed out and shorted one or more solder traces on the motherboard, it can [on occasion] fry the board. With the type of cooler you listed, I usually use a VERY small drop of compound and spread it on the cpu using a finger inside a plastic bag. Using too much compound is asking for a problem.
Next issue; cs pw supply. The corsair cx or cs pw supplies are NOT intended nor designed for any type of gaming video card. See this quote from the corsair site;
CX-M and CX Series PC power supplies are an excellent choice for basic system builds
That means onboard/onchip video, running office, etc NOT running a gaming video card.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online