1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

First self built computer wont work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bonds0756, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bonds0756

bonds0756 Thread Starter

Ok guys, I've put together my first computer. When it starts up the fans go on, the lights on my 2 CD players light up but I have no beeps and get no picture. Here is what I have:

P4 2.4 gHz, 800MHZ system bus, 512K cache
    DFI motherboard Ps83-8L
    GEForce2 MX 400 AGP 4X/2X
    DDR 512 MV PC3200 Simple 184 Pin DIMM

I'm so depressed because I've unhooked and rehooked everything up and still nothing. I'm a wee bit concerned because I originally put the processor in wrong and when absolutely nothing happened. I think reattached the heatsink, fan and processor and now the lights on my CD drives come on but still no video. What must I do?

2. compilerxp

compilerxp

What do you mean putting in the "Processor in wrong"? It is keyed to fit in one way... (supposed to be, its been a long time since I've touched a P4)

If you have your CPU inserted ALL the way in, and incorrectly, then you're talking damaged pins... and then you ran power through it which would usually mean fried CPU.

Please explain wrong...

Also, you can see if you get beeps with just the CPU and memory installed... if the speaker is plugged into the board... No drives What so ever! Not even the cables to the board.

3. bonds0756

bonds0756 Thread Starter

Sorry...I put the processor in right and I inspected it to make sure it doesn't have any bent pins. What I did was snap in the heatsink with the levers pointed the wrong direction. So I pulled it out with a screwdriver according to the directions on Intels website and and reinserted the heatsink correctly.

Thanx for helping...

4. bonds0756

bonds0756 Thread Starter

Sorry...I put the processor in right and I inspected it to make sure it doesn't have any bent pins. What I did was snap in the heatsink with the levers pointed the wrong direction. So I pulled it out with a screwdriver according to the directions on Intels website and and reinserted the heatsink correctly.

Thanx for helping...

5. compilerxp

compilerxp

OKay... then the CPU should be okay... ;)

but try th e other thing... Mobo, cpu and RAM only... then add video card, then add one drive at a time.

6. bonds0756

bonds0756 Thread Starter

Ok I pulled out everything and stripped it down to just the motherboard, CPU and RAM. I also attached the speaker in my case so I would hear the beeps. Still no beeps. The fans go on and my DIMM LED lights up on the motherboard but nothing else. Does this mean that my CPU or motherboard is to blame??

7. dai

dai

try assembling out of the case
    cpu ram video speaker
    the m/b may be shorting on the backing plate
    see if you get any beeps

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166741

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice