1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

First time dealing with laptop simple problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lalo_mrv, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lalo_mrv

lalo_mrv Thread Starter

Ok I have a laptop that aparently the fan went bad. First, is there any precautions before opening my laptop to change the fan?(dont want to mess anything) What kind of fan do I need (size, type) or all the fans are standard for any laptop. Like I said, its my first time trying to fix one. Any comment is appreciated(y)

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

If this is the first time you are going to do this I would suggest DON'T. Please take it to a repair shop and ask the tech if you can watch because there is a lot of sensitive parts that are static sensitive and other problems that might arise. A few bucks spent wisely is better than a lot of bucks spent fixing it after it is goofed up. Laptops are their own special devices and require a special touch. It is sort of like the commercial years ago for Fram oil filters, Pay me now or pay me later.

3. lalo_mrv

lalo_mrv Thread Starter

Well I could very easily do that, but am here asking because I want to do it my self. I come to the forums to learn and have an experience. W/ that said am willing to take the risk :D . but ill need some help. Were do I start:cool:

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Well you sure are going to have an experience. The first thing you want to do is go to the manufacturers web site of the computer and look thru the tech support for a dis-assembly manual for the computer this will give you all of the diagrams on how to take it apart and re-assemble it and also parts list of all of the parts in the computer. Remember one thing no matter what anybody tells you every part inside the computer is static sensitive and should be handle with out touching anything that has traces on it, just handle it by the side edges of the pc board. Remember the static in your body can damage the devices really easy and if somebody tells you they are static free run like crazy from them with the computer.

5. lalo_mrv

lalo_mrv Thread Starter

will a wrist strap work here:eek:

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Generally, only memory and hard drives are interchangeable with laptops. Are you sure the fan is the only problem with the laptop? Without cooling, heat could damage other components pretty quickly.

7. lalo_mrv

lalo_mrv Thread Starter

well it runs normally for a bit then it shuts down. I don't hear the fan at all

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Yes a wrist strap will work very good and is the proper technique to use and since you know about a wrist strap makes it easier for me. Thank you

Just go get the manual and follow that it als will give you the proper part number for the fan you need and it the laptop uses two fans replace both not just the broken one. Save the other one that works just in case you need it in a pinch.

9. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Here before doing all of this and then finding out you did not have to run this and get the temps

SpeedFan is a freeware program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan432.exe

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If the laptop feels physically hot when it shuts down, no further troubleshooting is needed and will only cause further damage.

Static is always a concern when working with computers. However, I don't see it as a bigger concern with a laptop versus a desktop.

11. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If the wrist strap is known about I doubt if static is going to be a big problem here. I have had laptop that feel like hot rocks but speedfan say ok. Maybe a docking station would be a good thing or something underneath the laptop to give it more ventilation.

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Docking stations do not add cooling. If the laptop is hot to the touch and shutting itself off, cooling pads aren't the answer. They add additional cooling but do not replace internal fans.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!