First time linux user

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Techno_Snoop

Alright after being pissed of with windows for long enough I thought I'd give linux a try. I messed around with live cd's and attempted to install before but I never got it working. Anyways what do you think would be the best linux version for a first timer with some computer knowledge, and will I be able to get drivers and whatnot for all my hardware; below.

Edit: I have 2 hd's, can I install linux on one and leave windows on the other while I get used to it?

Stick with Live CD that is also installable like Mepis, Puppy, Slax, Kanotix, Damn Small Linux, Knoppix, Fox Desktop...

For a 2-disk own, see Section A of

How to install Linux and keep Windows untouched like a virgin

You can pile all the Linix, BSD, Solaris you can find into you PC without losing your Windows. In fact you can add more Windows and Dos to it if you want. Just click one of the posts in my signature.

The age of co-existence has arrived.

Techno_Snoop

I have windows and linux on seperate drives but i cannot seem to boot up linux, windows still works fine. I also cant seem to make the slave drive boot first without just disabling the master drive...

BTW i went with mepis

EDIT: Does it matter where I install GRUB to? I installed it to the drive with linux, is that wrong?

Did you follow the Section A of the link I provided?

It is perfectly alright to put Grub in the drive with Linux but you need to set the Bios to boot the Linux disk first.

Techno_Snoop

Well I installed grub on the windows drive and now i can boot linux but not windows. I also am having no luck getting internet up and running, I thought i had the jist of that guide but i mustve been wrong...

Techno_Snoop

Ok I tried adding that code but I didnt work, I think my drives are a and b instead of 0 and 1, is that possible?
Edit: in the grub menu mepis is shown as at hdb1 and windows at hda2, thats the original stuff, not what i added, and whats in you guide doesnt seem to work.

OK so you have access to Mepis can you pasted the content of the following

(1) In Mepis, click terminal and type
Code:
fdisk -l
so that we know your partition arrangement. The "l" is a small "L".

(2) List Mepis /boot/grub/menu.lst here

(3) Lastly list Mepis /boot/grub/device.map

Techno_Snoop

(1) Usage : f disk [-b SSZ] [-u] DISK Change partition table
f disk -l [-b SSZ] [-u] DISK List partiton table(s)
f disk -s PARTITION Give partition size(s) in blocks
f disk -v Give fdisk version
Here DISK is something like /dev/hdb or /dev/hda7
and PARTITION is something like /dev/hda7
-u: give Start and End in sector (instead of cynlinder) units
-b 2048: (for certain MO disks) use 2048-byte sectors

(2)
timeout 15
color cyan/blue white/blue
foreground ffffff
background 0639a1
gfxmenu /boot/grub/message

title MEPIS at hdb1, kernel 2.6.10
kernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10 root=/dev/hdb1 nomce quiet splash=verbose vga=791
initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd.splash

title MEPIS at hdb1, kernel 2.4.29
kernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.29 root=/dev/hdb1 nomce quiet splash=verbose vga=791 hdc=ide-scsi
initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd.splash

title Windows at hda2
rootnoverify (hd0,-2)
chainloader +1

title MEMTEST
kernel /boot/memtest86.bin

(3)
(hd0) /dev/hda
(hd1) /dev/hdb

You should only put up the wlan part here to seek help as both of your systems boot.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online