1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

First time networker needs help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Wumpst, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wumpst

Wumpst Thread Starter

Here's what I got: I have a desktop pc running windows 98se that is hooked up to the internet through a cable modem. I also have a laptop running xp home. I would like to setup a wireless network. I bought a linksys router and notebook adapter. Now what do I need to do to network these two computers together?

2. guitarist968

guitarist968

did you buy a wireless linksys router?

i am guessing you did.

plug the cable modem into the uplink port on the back of the router. then plug a cat5 cable from one of the ports on the router to the desktop computer.

install the notebook adapter in the notebook and install whatever software came with it.

now your internet should be working. tell me if it is, and then we will move on.

3. Wumpst

Wumpst Thread Starter

Yes. I bought a linksys wireless router and notebook card.

4. guitarist968

guitarist968

tell me if you got it to work...

5. Wumpst

Wumpst Thread Starter

It doesnt' work if I plug it into the uplink port but does work if I plug it into the wan port.

6. guitarist968

guitarist968

oh im sorry i got it wrong. The wan port is the correct place sorry.

So can you get internet on both computers?

7. Wumpst

Wumpst Thread Starter

Yes. I have the internet working on both computers. How would I go about getting them networked together so I can share files and my printer?

8. guitarist968

guitarist968

ok, I am going to walk you through this process. If you stay on awhile I will help you set everything up.

Go to the Windows 98 computer. From the Network Neighborhood icon, right click and click properties. Find the "File and Print Sharing" button, and click it. Check both boxes and click ok.

Then find your TCP/IP network adapter and click properties. From there go to the NetBios tab and make sure it is checked. Then go to the Bindings tab and make sure Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks are both checked.

When you are done click ok until all screens are gone. Put a post here when you are done.

9. Wumpst

Wumpst Thread Starter

Ok. I got all that.

10. guitarist968

guitarist968

now go to properties of network neighborhood. find the TCP/IP for you net adapter, click properties.

see if obtain an ip address automatically is checked. if it is not, then check it.

11. Wumpst

Wumpst Thread Starter

Ok. That was checked already.

12. guitarist968

guitarist968

great.

now right click network neighborhood and go to properties.

click the identification tab at the top.

type a name in for the computer. it can be whatever you wish, this will be what the computer is called on the network.

after that type a name for your workgroup. this is the name of your network. all computers must be in the same workgroup, so write down or remember the workgroup name EXACTLY the way you spelled it.

leave computer description blank for now.

click ok and close any open screens.

13. Wumpst

Wumpst Thread Starter

Ok. That's done.

14. guitarist968

guitarist968

now you must share a file on this computer.

if you do not know how to do it just right click a file (you can just use my documents). then check the box shared as, and type a name for the share name. then choose if you want read-only (you can only view the file from other computers) or full (you can have full access to the file from other computers).

click ok.

when you are done we will move on to the windows xp computer...

15. Wumpst

Wumpst Thread Starter

I couldn't share the my documents folder but I did share a folder.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168152

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice