1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

First-time PC builder seeking advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ocmdiaz714, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ocmdiaz714

ocmdiaz714 Thread Starter

Hey guys. I was thinking over buying a new PC, but decided against it as I now think it's best to upgrade my current PC. My current PC is a custom built from PCCLUB made way back when, a PC CLUB Enpower Fuzion 4 to be exact. I have now made it my main PC as my last was stolen. Since, I have upgraded the ram from a single 256mb stick to two 512mb and have also upgraded the power supply to a Antec Earthwatts 500W. The CPU was also upgraded from a AMD Sempron 2800+ to a AMD AThlon 64 3200+. My plan is to now buy a new motherboard and processor which will handle HD video encoding with ease. As this is my first time building a PC, will all I need other than a motherboard and CPU is some compound paste and a SATA HD? I currently have a IDE drive which I'm guessing won't do any good, but it's fine as it's a measly 40gb.

I did the installation for the new processor on my current PC, myself. I like to believe I did it right, it was as simple as removing the cooler, removing the chip and wiping the residue off and dropping in the new CPU, will it be that easy with the new motherboard and processor or have things changed? I wouldn't mind taking it to a shop, but prefer to do it myself and save at least a hundred dollars. Here are the motherboard and processor I'm looking at:

Processor: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...CODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

Motherboard: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4433878&sku=B450-2341

Thank you.

EDIT: And the only reason I picked that hardware out was because I saw a custom built on eBay with the same specs and it was the cheapest. I would appreciate any suggestions on anything cheaper which handles HD encoding with ease.

EDIT(2): I just found out about these "barebone" systems. Wow I think I found the perfect set. It seems to include everything I need except for a CD drive, and I simply put it all together, right?:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7166210&CatId=332

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6727564&CatId=332

2. echo_off

echo_off

I Don't recommend any of those, the motherboard on the first barbone system is not good and nor is the motherboard you have chosen, and secondly the PSU that comes with those budles is generic and generic PSU's cause trouble, they will die alot quicker and will possibly take your components with it. the best Motherboards are asus and gigabyte MoBo's, and the best PSU's are seasonic and Corsair, but PC Power are not bad, nor is OCZ, but Corsair or Seasonic is Recommended.

3. ocmdiaz714

I'll use my Antec Earthwatts 500W.

4. echo_off

echo_off

yeah that would be a good idea, so get the second bundle and use you PSU, Cool sorted. and one more thing, if your gonna play games get a graphics card.

5. ocmdiaz714

No I won't use it for gaming, but do you think on-board video will do fine at editing HD video? And I think all I need now is a fan for the CPU. Will my old one from '05 do fine or would I need a new one for a newer CPU? The one I have at the moment will obviously work with AMD CPUs as I'm running one at the moment, but don't know if a dual core computer needs more power. This fan seems good enough for the price:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5205490&CatId=798

6. echo_off

echo_off

Really for best results at HD video editing you're going to need a graphics card, i understand you are ordering from frys,

Go Here

7. ocmdiaz714

Thanks for the help.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A word of advise; you do understand that you are buying somewhat dated technology correct? AM2 or AM2+ is the older amd socket. The asus board you linked to does support AM3s however it is a nvidia chipset board; not what I would recommend. IMO when you do an amd build, you use a quality board with an amd chipset. Same goes for an intel build; use a quality board with an intel chipset.

Next your choice of cpu. Both of those are pretty old technology; specifically the one with the 9600 cpu.

If you are going to build the system yourself, then I would really really recommend buying from newegg AND going with some higher quality/newer parts. Here is an example of a much better choice for a mb;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128394

9. echo_off

echo_off

well it seems this person only wants a lower powered PC, obviously not one ment for gaming, so the parts he has probably already purchased should be just fine, for a low powered computer.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

All of the even numbered amd cpus had problems ie 9600, 9500, etc. This required a bios fix that some board makers released and some did not. The problem was corrected in the -50 cpus ie 9750 or whatever. Again these are pretty old and I would NOT be recommending a cpu with an inherent problem.

11. echo_off

echo_off

OK, but i think he's already bought it, hopefully not, and hopefully he see's this page.

12. ocmdiaz714

Hey guys. Again, thanks for the help. I haven't bough anything as of yet, I was going to wait until the end of the week. But now it looks as if I'll build my own kit with a new board, CPU and an extra 2gb of ram. The gygabyte board sounds good and the HDMI convinced me. What CPU do you guys recommend around the budget of the board's price? I would like something that will run strong for years to come. As for the product, I was using TigerDirect because of their kits, but I'll go with the cheapest as long as it offers warranty.

13. echo_off

echo_off

14. ocmdiaz714

Alright. I build my own. How does this look? Also, here's a n00b question for you, will this outdo say a Intel Core 2 Duo e660?

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
    AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto Dual-Core Desktop Processor
    G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

15. echo_off

echo_off

Yes it will, The Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 has a clock speed of 2.4GHz whereas the AMD Phenom II X2 555 has a clock speed of 3.2GHz, per core, E6600 = 4.8GHz, X2 555 = 6.4GHz, so there will be and increase in performance with the AMD Phenom II X2 555 3.2GHz.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!