first time poster with dead computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

connor1964

"a problem with your hard drive has been detected"
"press {enter} to continue
when i do that it says: "press {F4}
when i do that nothing happens.

rebooting no help. any suggestions?

Hmm.. that really doesn't tell us much.

Have you removed or installed anything recently from the PC?
Has the HDD been making any noises?
Has the computer been moved recently? (could cause a loose card or cable inside)
Anything weird happen recently while using the PC?

connor1964

thanks for responding Jsanguancheau. I have not installed any new programs lately. Nothing weird either. There is a black screen with "we appologize for any inconvenience but Windows did not start properly". It then gives 5 choices and a countdown clock of :30secs and asks me to highlight my choice withe the up down arrows. Choices are:
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with networking
Safe Mode with command prompt
Last know good configuration
Start Windows normally

All of these choices when selected will loop back to the same choice screen after automatically shutting the computer off and rebooting itself.

What's the make, model and OS?
How old is the machine?
There's every chance your HD has died.
Is the drive detected in the BIOS?
Insert your OS disk and see if the drive is shown.

thanks for responding Jsanguancheau. I have not installed any new programs lately. Nothing weird either. There is a black screen with "we appologize for any inconvenience but Windows did not start properly". It then gives 5 choices and a countdown clock of :30secs and asks me to highlight my choice withe the up down arrows. Choices are:
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with networking
Safe Mode with command prompt
Last know good configuration
Start Windows normally

All of these choices when selected will loop back to the same choice screen after automatically shutting the computer off and rebooting itself.
If you're getting those options then your HDD is probably OK.
Sounds more like Windows got corrupted somehow.
Do you have the Windows XP/Vista CD? Try doing a Windows repair.
(You may need to go into the BIOS setup to set the boot order to CD first.)
Insert CD, restart PC, select Windows Repair from the options given.

If all you have is a restore CD from the manufacturer, then the process may be different. Best to check on their website for instructions or contact them directly.

I agree, a repair / OS reinstall should fix you right up.
Good luck!

connor1964

now i am back to a black screen telling me "sorry for the inconvenience but Windows did not start properly, please press enter to continue"

that takes me to a screen that instructs me to press F4. After pressing F4, nothin' happens.

Gateway computer from 2002 with 80 gig hd (60gig left) windows xp.

if it is an operating system problem, how does that relate to BIOS and is there any way to get back to my data?

do not know why the 5 choices of safe mode, last know safe configuration, normal windows etc...are no longer offered when i power on.

any help/suggestions are appreciated.

in your case you will be using bios only to change your boot sequence to make the cd drive boot before the hdd, therefor enabling you to boot your windows cd before the "black screen' appears

- press "delete" on post screen
- look for 'boot sequence' make cd boot first

- insert your windows cd press the restart button then when the disk runs select repair windows

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online