1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

First Time Raid / Backup Questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CasperCat, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CasperCat

CasperCat Thread Starter

Ive been jarring around the idea of going to raid, for performance reasons. Im not a gamer and things. 90% of my work involves video and photos. I would like stuff that loads better and faster from the drives. Ive gotten some mixed answers about going to it. Ive decided im going to try it and see for myself how it does so changing my mind about doing it or not isnt the question here. Heres the issue.

Currently I have a C: and a D: both the same size and same type of drive and even same age (wd raptors 150gigs). My C: is the main drive (windows, software etc..) my D: is my backup work and other stuff that I dont have on dvd etc..

Now I would like to make C: and D: raid 0 (im guessing) I would like to add a third drive in the system and use it for what my D: is now.

Heres my idea
    C:/D: - Raid 0 (windows, programs etc)
    E: - (odds and ends)

Now can this be done .. So if I was to lets say format the raid drives it wouldnt effect the third drives info. (Now the third drives info is not a backup of the raid it would be like odds and ends).

Ive tried to read some info on it on some sites but its a bit complicated. I have all new stuff with the lastest bios and things and windows vista premium.

2. cmw2010

cmw2010

I think for maximum performance you should increase the amount of memory in your computer. I don't think that the Raid 0 is going to give you that much of performance boost for what you are planning to do. Also with Raid 0 all of your data is striped across both drives, so if one fails you lose everything. Also if any sectors on your drive fail, the corresponding sectors on the other disk are also lost.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/586973

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice