1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

First time reformatting, need backup software.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by MagicDrumSticks, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MagicDrumSticks

MagicDrumSticks Thread Starter

I'm using Windows 7 32-Bit at the moment and was looking for a good backup solution besides copy and paste. I purchased a Seagate FreeGate GO 500 GB Portable HD today and need a software (money not an issue, I want the best possible software) that will backup my entire hard disk. Here's my situation

1. Windows 7 has multiple issues, Action center and Network and Sharing center display "page could not load" so I want to reinstall.

2. Windows 7 is currently 32 bit and I want to reinstall as 64 bit, since I have 4 gigs of RAM

3. I have multiple games installed, all of which I don't have the DVDs to anymore, I need the games intact and working with game saves

4. I have multiple Pics and Medical related work (I'm a medical resident)

Hope this helps, thanks.

2. Lance1

Lance1

Softrescue Will handle what you are looking to do.

3. KimE_WinTeam

KimE_WinTeam

Hi MagicDrumSticks,

To upgrade your computer to 64-bit, your computer will need to be completely wiped to perform a "Custom" installation. As you said, you'll need a backup solution. This document from Tech Support Guy provides some helpful information for doing just that: http://library.techguy.org/wiki/Backup

Then, you can follow the steps outlined in this tutorial for performing a custom install for Windows 7: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/20146-custom-install-windows-7-a.html

Hope these resources help! Ping me with any questions/complications and I can help you troubleshoot.

Cheers,
    Kim

4. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Nothing beats copy and paste IMO..it has no software to have to rely on etc.
    But..people do like the seagte backup software if you want to use that.

I would back up my files.
    Do what is call an upgrade repair with your windows disk...this doesnt reformat your system so your files will be there when finished,,,it puts on a new copy of windows this makes the system usable again.
    No guarantee on how many of you games etc will work..its seems like with upgrade repairs there is usually 1 or 2 apps that no longer function or dont work properly

Also as said by prior poster if you want to go 64 you have to start from scratch though

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/948290

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice