1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

First-timer with TV Tuner Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by janlafata, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. janlafata

janlafata Thread Starter

I'm just now getting into TV Tuner cards and I bought a Hauppage 1150 that works great. Problem is the software that came with it, WinTV is not that great and I've tried a few others, Beyond, SageTV before they were bought by Google and Media Portal, and none of them, while setting up nice never really lock in on the channels or recognize my specific Tuner card. They show it as an earlier model. I also tried the CyberLink Power Cinema and it was problematic at best.

So I'm looking for other solutions and/or software that will work on the Hauppage and possibly run the remote control that came with it. the WinTV software is the only one that I have gotten my remote to work with, though that has been tricky too. At this point now, I'm not even sure I want to mess with a remote...Got enough of them around the house anyway!

Thanks in advance
    Jan LaFata

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

You seem to have tried all the mainstream players.
    That mediaportal can be problematic.
    Only thing I can suggest if you have the money is to
    upgrade your operating system to at least windows 7 premium.
    That way you will get windows media center which includes
    tuner functionallity and internet TV.
    It also handles music,movies,pictures and other stuff.
    Some versions of vista can do that,but it requires a clean
    install of the operating system to service pack 1 and some
    special software downloads.
    I don't think vista basic is equiped for it.

3. janlafata

janlafata Thread Starter

Would love to go with 7, but it's an older MSI board that doesn't do well with it. Right after I posted this, I kept looking around and found two others that might work with XP...."ShowShifter" and "ChrisTV". We'll see what happens. If nothing works, at least I know I can always go back to clunky WinTV!

4. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

I have run windows 7 on an old socket 939 board
    with an AMD 64 3500+ single core processor and it did ok.
    You need to have at least 2GB system memory for
    proper performance.
    I am running a home theater PC right now with a dual core
    AMD 64 3800+ socket 939 right now.
    Using an old HP motherboard I got on ebay for $20 as my
    old motherboard finally bit the dust.

5. janlafata

janlafata Thread Starter

I know and I have all of those prerequisites...I might give it a try loading it again sometime, but it just seems like every now and then I run into a board like that, that doesn't do well with a certain OS. it even says in the MSI site that it's for 98, 2000 or XP. I've had some techs tells me that sometimes the motherboard companies are right on, most of the time when they tell you what you can run, but I have also seen exceptions. Besides, first I've got to get this DVR software decided upon first.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025578

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice