1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

First Upgrade to Windows 10 then after few days CLEAN INSTALL

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ak007, Sep 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ak007

ak007 Thread Starter

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would be grateful if you can let me know – I have Windows 8.1, I want to have clean install Windows 10 but first I want upgrade to Windows 10 – keep this for few days to see everything is WORKING and OK then do CLEAN INSTALL of Windows 10. Can I do this ? If yes then please guide me or let me know how to do this. My email address is <removed>

Once more thanks and I do appreciate for all the advise.

Yours faithfully,

AK

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2015
  2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I have removed your email address - ALL communication and support should be kept in the forums as per our rules
    ALSO putting your email on public forums is the quickest way to get spam

Yes you can do that using the ISO from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

You must do an upgrade first - so that MS can see an orginal valid license for the software and then assign a windows 10 key
    After the upgrade you can then do a clean install

I would wait a bit longer than a few days , to check everything works OK
    With the upgrade you can revert back to the original software for upto 30days after the upgrade and then the windows.old folder will be deleted

I would make sure you make a note fo your old windows key before the upgrde
    With 8.1
    that would be obtained by running www.belac.com or https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

3. ak007

ak007 Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for your info.

AK

4. Janastro

Janastro

In order to do a clean install of Windows 10 you have to upgrade first and in doing this your Windows 8 license is converted to a Windows 10 license during the upgrade and is identified thereafter via the hardware of your pc,removing the need for a product key. As far as Windows 10 goes in comparison to Windows 8.1,well....Its quite intrusive in comparison and privacy has pretty much been thrown out the window. It has a built in keylogger for one and im not gonna go into all of this but as far as a operating system goes,its top of the line and its very fluid. I think you will enjoy it. For me a clean install runs smoother. But if you wanna stick with Windows 8.1 then thats okay too because it runs pretty dang good despite popular opinion. But thats that and hope this helps you out.

5. Janastro

Janastro

Also I forgot to tell ya,go to www.microsoft.com and get the Windows 10 media creation tool,you can search for it on the microsoft webpage,and then download it and you can use it to upgrade and /or clean install later on. It will give you the option to upgrade and also to create media for installation on another pc and will copy this ISO Image to a bootable USB flashdrive for you or burn the ISO to a CD/DVD. Your choice. Thanks

6. Janastro

Janastro

And finally one last thing. If You need your product key and You bought your computer from a vendor and it came already activated then your product key resides in your BIOS. The easiest way to get it is to download (RW Everything) which stands for read write everything. Download the program and install it. Open it up and find the ACPI tab and click on it and from there you will see the (MSDM) tab and click on it and your product key is right there and you can scroll to the bottom of the page and it will be there also. You can download it from http://rweverything.com. Make sure to get the right version depending on if your running a 32bit pc or a 64bit pc

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  8. Janastro

Janastro

Ive heard of it and i may have tried it once a long time ago. i cant remember. But will it tell you the product key when it is located and embedded in the bios? Most pcs product keys are stored and embedded in the bios now and no longer on the back of the pc. any ways i was just wondering if it did that,could locate the p.key in bios.

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It can't hurt to try it out on Win 8.1, I never had a reason to use it on 8.1. I used it on Win 10 after the performing the upgrade and it returned the Product key.

10. lunarlander

lunarlander

If you upgrade first, and activate, MS will remember your PC. There is no need to find the product key. Then do a clean install, skipping the screens that ask for a product key, and it will be able to activate. I tried it and this works.

fraz1 likes this.
  11. fraz1

fraz1

Thanks guys I was about to ask all these same questions.(y) I'm about to replace my hard drive with a fresh install of Win 10 on a new SSD and after a bit of research found the product key is tied to your bios. So if you change your motherboard it's $$$ to get Win 10. Got that straight from MS. Keeping this mobo for a looonnngg time now.:X3:

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1155008

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice